• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

legality of shooting down of drones?

shoot if from inside the house out a window; wont see where its coming from.

once is down cover face, smash with hammer, throw pieces in firepit or bury them or roadtrip it to the chatahoochee or whatever it is that happened to jimmy hoffa
This ain’t your first rodeo , is it

38542571-6A1D-4378-8FA3-48EC8DB5610A.jpeg

It's illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law. The drone would have to be within 12ft of the ground to be considered invading your privacy but, even then, airspace is not included in property ownership.

Drones less than 55 lbs. must be registered with the FAA before flying. That registration number also must be legibly affixed to the aircraft. If you see a drone in the air see if the drone has it’s registration number. If it does not, call and report it to local authorities. If the drone has a number, write it down (if you can) and then make a report. The Local authority can quickly ascertain the legitimacy of the flight.

Most drones are people just flying them around, getting arial video and stuff and nothing to be worried about. I think that 99% of the claims of them being used to peep in some girls window are BS. Have you ever heard how loud these things are? They aren't exactly stealthy, between the noise, the flashing red lights, etc...

I think people are afraid they will be used as such, but I am pretty sure that apart from a case here or there, it doesn't really happen to much...

There are satellites looking down at your property all the time. I can go on Googlemaps and see my truck in the driveway and my dog in the back yard...

If you are paranoid to the point that you are considering shooting things out of the sky, I would suggest that a better course of action is to smoke a bowl an chillax. :-)

It's illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law. The drone would have to be within 12ft of the ground to be considered invading your privacy but, even then, airspace is not included in property ownership.

Drones less than 55 lbs. must be registered with the FAA before flying. That registration number also must be legibly affixed to the aircraft. If you see a drone in the air see if the drone has it’s registration number. If it does not, call and report it to local authorities. If the drone has a number, write it down (if you can) and then make a report. The Local authority can quickly ascertain the legitimacy of the flight.
An important note: drones under 250g are not required to be registered. The Mavic Mini is 249g and a very capable drone with a ~2 mile range.

Reminds me of a guy that went to trial for downing a tow plane at the beach. The pilot swore he never got closer than 500 ft to the beach goer. The judge asked the beach goer how he shot down the plane, answer was he threw his surfboard at it due to the pilot flying too close. "In fear of his life"

Judge immediately dismissed the charges.

Some folks tend to lie about stuff like getting too close, flying too low, harassing others, etc.

Back
Top Bottom