• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lefty

MWJ

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
19   0
Reaction score
I’m teaching wy wife to shoot and she is left handed. Is the a different technique or is it best to have her shoot like a righty. She is brand new to shooting so no bad habits to overcome. Tabula rasa.

I'd be more focused on finding her eye dominance and working with that. The grips for left are the same as right, just opposite hands. Lefty need to watch out for the controls however, as some seem to be in the way for left handed shooters.

Also, I never recommend teaching a spouse. I'm an instructor and still had my wife take classes from another instructor.

Perception is a huge thing. Right handed folks don't typically get the way left handed folks perceive things. I agree with Spas-12 Owner, find a professional instructor and let him or her handle the basics. You probably have your own bad habits that you'll pass along. ;)

Nothing wrong with shooting left handed. I make it a point to use “dominant hand” and “support hand” when teaching classes with southpaws. Whether she’s left- or right-eye dominant will impact how she holds her head, but it’s not something to worry about.

Most every pistol will let you flip the mag release. Some, like Glocks, Walthers, and M&Ps, have ambi slide releases.

+1 on having someone else teach her.

With women, or any folk with smaller hands, sometimes flipping the mag release isn’t the best way to go.

I know some left-handed shooters with smaller hands that have an easier time reaching a “right-handed” magazine release with their trigger finger, than they do using a “left handed” magazine release and trying to reach it with their left thumb.

Different folks are…..different.

I'd be more focused on finding her eye dominance and working with that. The grips for left are the same as right, just opposite hands. Lefty need to watch out for the controls however, as some seem to be in the way for left handed shooters.

Also, I never recommend teaching a spouse. I'm an instructor and still had my wife take classes from another instructor.
This is the way!! I’m a lefty and it’s spot on!! Eye dominants is the key

With women, or any folk with smaller hands, sometimes flipping the mag release isn’t the best way to go.

I know some left-handed shooters with smaller hands that have an easier time reaching a “right-handed” magazine release with their trigger finger, than they do using a “left handed” magazine release and trying to reach it with their left thumb.

This is how it is for me, being left handed and shooting for years they never had ambi controls years ago so it is second nature to hit the mag release with my middle finger

As a left hander I'd say we're well conditioned to using things that weren't designed for us. It never even crossed my mind to try and shoot right handed.

If she's left eye dominant teach her to shoot left handed. She'll adapt to the gun. But don't get a Sig p200 series for her. The controls are unreachable for a lefty, even though they shoot like a dream. And stay away from crimson trace grips. The laser is either useless or she'll teacup the pistol so the laser can clear the support hand.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Having man hands I flip my mag releases if possible. On right handed mag releases I use my trigger finger. I probably should just run them all right handed for consistency.

I tend to slingshot my slides rather than mess with the slide release even though most pistols I can rake it down with my trigger finger.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Beat me too it. Well said.

Back
Top Bottom