• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lefty

I'd be more focused on finding her eye dominance and working with that. The grips for left are the same as right, just opposite hands. Lefty need to watch out for the controls however, as some seem to be in the way for left handed shooters.

Also, I never recommend teaching a spouse. I'm an instructor and still had my wife take classes from another instructor.
Agreed.

Been shooting southpaw all my life and once you develop a good technique, it is just as comfortable and functional as being a northpaw. I find that right hand mag releases work well with my index finger and the only time I need ambi is for safeties on my 1911's.

MUCH more important, as other folks have said is eye dominance.

As a left handed shooter, tactically it is better to learn to operate common tactical firearms in their predominate stock condition. You actually can put yourself in a less advantageous position adapting all of your firearms to left hand operations when the shtf.

I have resisted to urge to adjust to left handed operation and actually resisted some other personal modifications on common firearms and it has paid off for me in a pinch.

I'd be more focused on finding her eye dominance and working with that. The grips for left are the same as right, just opposite hands. Lefty need to watch out for the controls however, as some seem to be in the way for left handed shooters.

Also, I never recommend teaching a spouse. I'm an instructor and still had my wife take classes from another instructor.

ns
This, It;s more a matter of eye dominance than handedness -trust me.

If she is left handed, right eye dominant, she can shoot a pistol by adjusting her stance. I shot competitively for years doing that, it's no big deal. Although now, aging eyes make it something of an issue.

Left handed, left eye dominant, no problem, just a mirror image of shooting right handed.

One interesting fact, is that it you are shooting a revolver in a match that requires reloading, a left handed shooter can reload faster than a right handed shooter, because the left handed shooter can reload without changing hands. Good bar bet to make.

Long guns are different.

If she is left handed and right eyed dominant, she will do herself a favor learning to shoot right handed. "Handedness" is not as much an issue with long guns because shooting is more about body position. I have worked and talked to many of the top instructors and competitors on clay targets, and they all encourage new shooters to shoot with the dominant eye.

There are all sorts of work arounds, but none of them work as well as learning to shoot with the dominant eye. As a hew shooter, she is actually at an advantage, because she doesn't have to un-learn anything.

I second, third and fourth the motion toe get professional trainer, not Joe at the gun club who talks a good game. A pro may seem expensive, but in the long run, he is cheaper than banging away with ever more expensive and scarce ammo.

Also, no matter what she does, dry firing is probably the most valuable exercise she can engage in.

I taught my son who is left handed how to shoot right handed, worked out great for him now he can shoot either way and both just as accurately

Not everyone has the same “level” of eye dominance. Some folks can switch between their eyes readily

I was born a lefty, but my Dad made me be a righty. Shooting, I’m equally accurate with either hand, but faster with my right (much more practice).

My daughter is a lefty, but shoots righty. That’s how she automatically handled firearms, so I didn’t try to change it. She was on her high school rifle team for 4 years straight, so it definitely worked for her.

When I competed in Cowboy Action Shooting, I was in Gunfighter class; a gun in each hand, and alternating fire with each hand. I shot the left gun with my left eye, and my right gun with my right eye.

I’ve met some guys that were truly great shooters and professional “operators”, that couldn’t hit anything with their support hand, despite years of professional training.

So, the cookie cutter answer ain’t always the correct one. Different folks are…..different.

Someone early in this thread mentioned getting her with a professional Instructor, and I concur. Cookie cutter answers don’t always work; you need to find the solution that works beat for HER. Trying to do otherwise could possibly discourage her from continuing.

Back
Top Bottom