• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Leather workers??

Can you all post how you got started? Where you get your gear/leather from locally if thats an option? I do kydex now and would like to move into leather. How does one get started?

I started out helping my boys do leather crafts for their Royal Rangers class at church, (kind of like the boy scouts but at church). My boys had fun and moved on and my interest grew from there.I started out just doing the stamping but now I do alot of simple carving and tooling. I buy alot of supplies at tandy leather. They have a couple stores in GA, one in Gwinett and one in Lithia Springs. The one in LS is the one I go to. They do classes there and teach different techniques and to show how different products can be used.
Hope this helps.

Can you all post how you got started? Where you get your gear/leather from locally if thats an option? I do kydex now and would like to move into leather. How does one get started?
I started because i wanted a small case that would hold a mag and a flashlight to carry in my front pocket. I ran across a guy at a flea market that had some leather and bought a piece. The first case i made worked but did not look so good. Since then I have done a good bit of practicing and watching you tube videos. I also buy from Tandy( Columbia and Atlanta) and they have been helpful in directing me in the right direction. The best advice i can give as to getting started is to buy an inexpensive piece of leather, watch some you tube videos, join one of the leatherworking blogs and give it a go.

Some of the leather I did this week. I'm hoping to build enough inventory to start doing some arts/crafts shows. Anybody had any luck doing those?

Attachments

• DSC_0922.JPG
    DSC_0922.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0924.JPG
    DSC_0924.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0908.JPG
    DSC_0908.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0914.JPG
    DSC_0914.JPG