• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Learn me on bows(especially on the mathews Q2XL)

Is it a good bow & deal

• Hell yea

• Hell no

• It's a decent deal

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just like Tazz says. Its a matter of opinion. I have a bear archery and a mathews. The "let off" on the mathews is incredible compared to the bear, you can hold forever. But I can shoot tighter groups with the bear. I'd take the advice of shooting several bows with different setups to see how well each does for you. Good luck with your findings

Any bow with a 7 inch brace height (distance from the string to the back of the grip) will be more forgiving as far as any flaws in your form and shooting are concerned. In time, you will develop proper form and good consistency-that’s when accuracy will improve. If you are just getting into archery, a 7” brace height bow will be the best way to start. Shorter brace height bows aren’t as forgiving and have discouraged many beginning archers. Try one though and see if it works for you. The shorter brace height bows, especially with a power stroke over 30” will produce some blistering speeds. You can shoot a lower draw weight with one and it’ll still be fast.

As far as arrow choice is concerned, use what works best with the bow you get-draw weight, length, tip weight will all play a part in your arrow selection.
The arrow’s spine should be matched to your particular setup. Make sure that you have at least 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight. Anything less will cause damage to the bow in the long run.
I have had several Mathews bows, a couple of the PSE bows and am currently shooting a Martin. It’s a better fit for me. As stated previously, go to a few different shops and shoot a variety of bows. Find what works best for you.

This bow came to mind when I started reading this thread. It’s a long-draw bow with a 7” brace height and still smoking fast.
The Evolve cam setup is reported to be a really good setup too.
They’ve pretty much eliminated the possibility of cam lean, which tends to plague a lot of the 2-cam setups and can result in total catastrophe.

https://www.pse-archery.com/shop/bows/pse-vapor-compound-bows/beast-ecs/

Your getting good advice here. Top of the line PSE's cost about the same as top of line Mathews. The dirty little "secret" in archery is that you do not have to have the most expensive, top of the line, newest bow on the market to enjoy and be lethal if you are going to bow hunt. In fact, if you have been out of archery for many years, a mid level bow (so to speak) will shoot and feel fantastic to you. Technology has come that far. IMO the top of the line, pro series bows of any manufacturer are really a waste of money on novice archers. On the other hand, very experienced archers can tell the difference in various bows to the enth degree to the point of being anal retentive (lol). The bow market has become far too competitve for any manufacturer to make a sub-standard bow, they all have their value. As others have advised get your draw length measured and memorized then shoot a bunch of bows till you find what's comfy to you. Any lightly used well maintained bow under 5-6 years old and priced right could be a good purchase.

Back
Top Bottom