• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Learn me on bows(especially on the mathews Q2XL)

Is it a good bow & deal

• Hell yea

• Hell no

• It's a decent deal

Results are only viewable after voting.

sierra117

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
48   0
Reaction score
I know nothing about bows,but have the opportunity to buy a Q2XL. Is this a good bow for someone 6'4"? What should I look for while inspecting it for defects.can I change the cams for a longer draw? Thanks

Ps. Price is $150 with 10 arrows and a drop away rest

The first thing you should do is get your draw length measured at an archery pro shop. At 6'4" your DL is probably gonna be at least 30"-32", if the DL is too short for you it's not only gonna be uncomfortable to hold at full draw you're not going to be an accurate shot with the bow.
I wish someone had told me that before I wasted money on my first bow years ago. I bought a good bow at a good deal but the draw length was way too long for me, I'm 5'8" and my DL is 27", the bow's DL was 31". My groups at 20 yds were 6"-8" and that's unacceptable because the groups get much larger the further you shoot. Once I learned about draw length I ordered a brand new Mathews Switchback with the correct DL and got instructions on the proper way to shoot from a former world champion archer. Within one week I was shooting 20 oz plastic Coke BOTTLE CAPS consistently at 20 yds, after more practice I was shooting smaller groups at 50 yds than I did at 20 yds with that first bow that wasn't the right draw length.
That $150 bow won't be worth crap if you can't shoot it well and it's uncomfortable to shoot AND it won't be fun at all, you will have wasted your money. I hope that helps, get yourself measured FIRST!

The first thing you should do is get your draw length measured at an archery pro shop. At 6'4" your DL is probably gonna be at least 30"-32", if the DL is too short for you it's not only gonna be uncomfortable to hold at full draw you're not going to be an accurate shot with the bow.
I wish someone had told me that before I wasted money on my first bow years ago. I bought a good bow at a good deal but the draw length was way too long for me, I'm 5'8" and my DL is 27", the bow's DL was 31". My groups at 20 yds were 6"-8" and that's unacceptable because the groups get much larger the further you shoot. Once I learned about draw length I ordered a brand new Mathews Switchback with the correct DL and got instructions on the proper way to shoot from a former world champion archer. Within one week I was shooting 20 oz plastic Coke BOTTLE CAPS consistently at 20 yds, after more practice I was shooting smaller groups at 50 yds than I did at 20 yds with that first bow that wasn't the right draw length.
That $150 bow won't be worth crap if you can't shoot it well and it's uncomfortable to shoot AND it won't be fun at all, you will have wasted your money. I hope that helps, get yourself measured FIRST!
This

$150 probably isn't too bad for a Q2XL & 10 arrows but that's an old bow my friend, todays bow technology is light years ahead of the Q2XL.

Edit: arrow tech is light years ahead now too, I started with aluminium arrows with the 1st bow and I shoot small diameter carbon fiber arrows now. They're much less likely to be affected by the wind as much than an aluminium arrow.

I understand I have to have the right DL. Is it worth me having this fited to me,or buy a new bow?

I understand I have to have the right DL. Is it worth me having this fited to me,or buy a new bow?
I don't think it can be retro fitted to fit you, some bows can be but I don't think it's possible with most Mathews bows. Get measured and I'd bet you'll find a much newer & better Mathews bow right here on the ODT, there's probably half a dozen almost new bows on here right now at good prices.

I don't think it can be retro fitted to fit you, some bows can be but I don't think it's possible with most Mathews bows. Get measured and I'd bet you'll find a much newer & better Mathews bow right here on the ODT, there's probably half a dozen almost new bows on here right now at good prices.
Thank you. I will let my buddy know I will pass

Thank you. I will let my buddy know I will pass
You're welcome, I hope you find a great bow after you get measured. I've had a blast just shooting in my backyard, it's so much more enjoyable when you can shoot accurately & comfortably.

Now the big question, is there really a big difference between mathews an a less expensive bow like pse?
It's pretty much like anything else, it's all a matter of opinions but in my opinion Mathews makes the best and easiest to draw & hold at full draw bows on the planet plus they're extremely accurate. Other folks like Hoyt and won't shoot anything else, others will say PSE. Find an archery pro shop that'll let you check out the different brands to see what YOU like best. I like & shoot 1911's better than other pistols but other folks like Glocks etc., etc. See what I mean? It's all just personal preference, get what you like best and what feels best and what you can afford best. Don't let anyone make your mind up for you, it's gonna be YOUR bow not anyone elses. But I do love my Mathews.....Lol!

Back
Top Bottom