• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Laws pertaining to someone blocking traffic

Does anyone know what your rights are once a protestor has blocked traffic? Obviously avoiding conflict is always the best option, but at what point can you just put it in drive and go?
We work in Atlanta alot, or should I say, did. I would like to give my guys direction about what to do if they get caught in one of these spontaneous, peaceful road closures where vehicles and drivers are innocently attacked by peaceful protesters. The image of Reginald Denney is hard to ignore.
It is against the law to impede a persons travel or wrongful detention of travel. Many Law Enforcement have problems with this law and understanding it. Pedestrians falls under a code. Pedestrians have the right away in order to have motorist yield to them while they are in harms way. Kinda like way sail boats have right away on the water. They are slower and able to maneuver as quickly as a motor boat.
The law for impeding originates in the beginning of our country and is part of our founding documents. During elections politicians would have delighted stopped and held to keep them from voting for their opponent. If I approach an group blocking the road I will turn around before I get close to them. If no option then I am going through them. Their actions will determine how fast.

Best thing you can do is get front and rear facing cameras. Leave audio on. Let them tell the story if someone starts beating on your vehicle and it results in you taking action. Also a two man crew would be better to allow for a third, mobile phone camera for side angles.
Good advice, Cameras for vehicles are VERY cheap, get them on Amazon etc..

Back
Top Bottom