• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Law regarding purchase of firearm across state lines. Long guns only

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I believe a GA resident can go to FL and purchase a long gun from an FFL dealer directly.

Anyone know if it works the other way? I was in Walmart earlier and 2 guys from FL were there and wanted to buy a rifle here in GA. The Walmart guy told him he could not sell him one unless he was a GA resident.

I think that may be a Walmart rule based on Florida changing their law about Ar style rifles. I can’t remember the details.

Federal law says it's OK for resident of any state to buy a long gun from an FFL in any other state IF (and only if) the state and local laws of both states allow it, and all state-mandated procedures are followed.

Now, does Florida have any sort of waiting period or extra-level background check required to buy a gun there? If so, and if Georgia FFL's don 't (or can't) do that, then Florida peeps can't buy those long guns here.

According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, there IS a waiting period in place for all retail gun sales,

so that, according to ATF, would mean that unless GA does the same thing, a FL person can't go to GA and buy a gun.
(Which makes sense, because otherwise the "waiting period" would be almost worthless and everybody who lived in the northern half of FL would drive to GA, AL, MS, or SC to buy their guns instantly.)

QUOTE: "There is a waiting period of three days, excluding weekends and state holidays, between purchase and delivery of all firearms. Individual counties and cities have the authority to enact local ordinances extending the waiting period to as much as five days."

SOURCE: https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FPP/FAQs2.aspx

There is no waiting period for CC holders,,, also I thought that some time back they changed the law about waiting period that all counties had to follow the state law, because all the different laws the counties had were all screwed up.

Now it makes sense. FL does have a 3 day waiting period and GA does not. I guess FL doesn't want anyone circumventing the 3 day policy.

Back
Top Bottom