• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

large rifle primers

Living Proof

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
My uncle who use to reload gave me 5 packs of cci primers that are at least 20 years old. I used 2 of them as a test and they worked but I'm wondering if you guys would use them in hunting ammo? I don't want to squeeze the trigger and hear a click. They were stored in a barn so moisture could be a problem I guess but there are no visible problems.

Some of the primers I have are that old, and I would not hesitate to use them, That said, I do not keep my primers in a "barn"...I've seen some pretty nice barns...
:-)Rocky

I have been using some Herters primers made in Japan that I picked up at a gunshow maybe 2 years ago for a very good price. The guy I bought them from said they were near 25 years old. Only been running them through a 45LC and have no issues with ignition. Its just target ammo though. If you don't have any issues with a 'few' of them then i would also feel confident using for hunting ammo.

I've got some primers that are probably over 50 years old. They still work fine, but there again, they weren't stored in a barn either. I'd say that if you pull 10 random primers from the different packs, and there are no failures, then I wouldn't hesitate loading them for hunting rounds, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom