• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Landlord-Tenant

SamSamson

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
107   1
Reaction score
Im trying to learn how to legally evict my 23 year old grandson. He moved in seven years ago when just a teen and after bumming around about 4 years he started working different jobs about 3 years ago, which I asked him to pay some on the bills. He's been working his present job since Jan. of this year and paying $60 every 2 weeks but he has refused to clean up his room. After several months of asking and telling him to clean up his room with no response I told him to move out. After another few months I told him again to move out, thats when he told me he didnt have to because he pays rent and that Im breaking and entering by going in his room and taking pictures of the condition of the room. He does no chores or work here and we've never had any rental agreement in writing. I'd sure like some legal suggestions, thanks in advance.

Tell him that if he doesn't move out you'll evict him, and that will go on his record; it will hurt his credit. It'll be something that follows him for years, maybe the rest of his life, but that will be on him because he's taking advantage of you and he's too stupid to recognize what a good deal he has there.

Yes, you will have to evict him. As you said, he is the *tenant* you are the *landlord* and even if your agreement was not in writing, that doesn't mean that you can kick him out him without following the proper court procedure.

P.S. You say he's your grandchild. Well what does your child, his parent, think about all this?

Here's some information about evicting a tenant in Fulton county, Georgia.

Keep in mind that about 99% of evictions are done for nonpayment of rent, but in your case the kid is still offering to keep paying so your grounds would be different.

iIt would either be you gave him notice that you are choosing to terminate the landlord tenant relationship as of sometime in the future (let's say 60 days)

or you were saying that you're terminating the relationship because he violated a material clause in the verbal agreement --which is to keep his room clean and follow reasonable standards of living in the house.

Next time he leaves throw his stuff out and change the locks.
No, that would get SamSamson arrested for burglary, potentially, and it would definitely make him liable to a civil countersuit and triple damages by the lazy slob of a grandson.

Tell him that if he doesn't move out you'll evict him, and that will go on his record; it will hurt his credit. It'll be something that follows him for years, maybe the rest of his life, but that will be on him because he's taking advantage of you and he's too stupid to recognize what a good deal he has there.

Yes, you will have to evict him. As you said, he is the *tenant* you are the *landlord* and even if your agreement was not in writing, that doesn't mean that you can kick him out him without following the proper court procedure.

P.S. You say he's your grandchild. Well what does your child, his parent, think about all this?
His mom left his dad 10+ years ago. Mom dont seem to care and dads afraid of him, yeah dysfunctionality at its worst.

Here's some information about evicting a tenant in Fulton county, Georgia.

Keep in mind that about 99% of evictions are done for nonpayment of rent, but in your case the kid is still offering to keep paying so your grounds would be different.

iIt would either be you gave him notice that you are choosing to terminate the landlord tenant relationship as of sometime in the future (let's say 60 days)

or you were saying that you're terminating the relationship because he violated a material clause in the verbal agreement --which is to keep his room clean and follow reasonable standards of living in the house.
Thank you for that. A lot of good info in there, and Cobb Co probably is close to the same. I'll contact the Cobb Magistrate and find out how to get the proper forms. I truly appreciate your help. Its really very stressful to be treated bad from someone you have loved and taken care of for most of their lives but our world as we knew it is gone down the tube. Thanks again for a little peace of mind.

Im trying to learn how to legally evict my 23 year old grandson. He moved in seven years ago when just a teen and after bumming around about 4 years he started working different jobs about 3 years ago, which I asked him to pay some on the bills. He's been working his present job since Jan. of this year and paying $60 every 2 weeks but he has refused to clean up his room. After several months of asking and telling him to clean up his room with no response I told him to move out. After another few months I told him again to move out, thats when he told me he didnt have to because he pays rent and that Im breaking and entering by going in his room and taking pictures of the condition of the room. He does no chores or work here and we've never had any rental agreement in writing. I'd sure like some legal suggestions, thanks in advance.
What I'd do is provide him a fully written notice that the rent has gone up - $500/month...

Back
Top Bottom