• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lamson pre civil war - contract

, some of you may have noticed and one of the pictures the rifle has a safety. It did not come with one and who would put one right through their own roll marks anyway. They sold these to the civilian Market the only other one I have ever seen is in the NRA Museum. Some guy up in New Hampshire is one for sale right now there were 1002 of them produced and I can account for 2 and only speculate about the guy in New Hampshire

pops, although an avid hunter in his time oh, most of the time we bow Hunted he had absolutely no knowledge of the history of this rifle after I cleaned it up and gave it back to him I asked him how much did he think it was worth?

His reply was.
I don't know hundred and seventy-five $200?

I said look I'm the eldest and I would take care of it for the Next Generation but it's probably worth about 3 Grand dad.

I can see my dad now trying to cash this thing in some place and making the final trip to Churchill Downs to put big money on the trifecta!

Dad was feeling a little bit better today so he gave me a little story about The Rifle...

My dad grew up outside of Boston typical Irish household lots of kids his dad was a cop and somehow this rifle was still around when he was 10 years old oh, you see he's the baby.

He and his friends, not his brother's they were quite a few years older than him, would play war games, Cowboys and Indians down at Hammond Pond which I can really only describe to you as Boston's Central Park at that time. Well they were busy shooting each other and falling down and doing all the things kids do and it was my dad's turn to die so I'm sure he put on a dramatic death scene which included leaning his rifle against an old oak tree as he Lay Dying next to it.

Well they were all having a good laugh my dad's demise in the distance they heard the familiar sound of these giant bullfrogs which we going to some kind of mating ritual a couple times a year and boys will be boys so they had to run down to the pond to investigate leaving the ancient fire pole leaning against the tree.
After rounding up as many bullfrogs as they could carry in their shirts they headed back to their neighborhood to release the bullfrogs which they thought would cause a bunch of havoc.

Yes there was a little bit of Havoc when his mother smelled the swamp of Hammond Pond engulfing a very wide berth of a distinguishing reptilian odor which not only earned him an immediate trip to the tub but a few days confined to thing around the house.

He counted down the days he was ready to play Cowboys and Indians again and then he remembered...

Left the Lamson leaning against the tree somewhere in this massive Park and he was kind of surprised his dad the cop had not noticed the missing rifle...

So he waited until the familiar sounds of snoring filled the tiny walk-up and with all the Tom Sawyer he could muster he climbed out the window down the banister and made his way to the pond in the dark.

Surely he'd be able to find it I mean it was the biggest Oak Tree in the park and just because it's pitch black outside and he's worried about dad taking the big black belt to his behind all he went in search of the tree which would lead him to the rifle...

He doesn't know how in all that expanse he found that tree with the rifle still precariously leaning on its Barrel now soaking wet but he snatched it up as fast as he could and ran as fast as you possibly can with something this heavy in your arms...

Back up the banister he climbed rifle in tow and carefully he started right where it belongs next to the big pot belly stove...

He told me that was the only time his father never caught him or at least never said anything and his dad was one of those tough cops who rarely smiled but at breakfast the next morning he walked over to the rifle picked it up and examined it turned it upside down and a trickle of water came out of the barrel.

In his deep Irish brogue he said loudly, directing it at my father, "Saints Alive! We must have a leak in our roof, Jimmy I want you to get up there and check every inch of it and see if there's anything loose."

My dad spent the whole morning the whole afternoon and a good portion of the evening up there on the roof but he didn't get smacked with the belt and the Lamson has been leaning against his fireplace oh, the same spot for 35 years.

Once in a while I'll just move it to the other side just to irritate him...
I was making a movie scene in mind, as I read this awesome history my Friend.
This is so cool...

I was making a movie scene in mind, as I read this awesome history my Friend.
This is so cool...
I tried to make it colorful and as accurate as he told it to me my dad is one of those old Irish storytellers. Years ago you would put a couple Bourbons in it and he would start reciting poetry about the land of green oh, and he has never been there!

Back
Top Bottom