• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lack of Workers

Plenty of sales jobs out there that don't have a home office you have to drive to every day, its a digital world, there are probably just as many remote work jobs out there as in person jobs (at least ones anyone would want to do anyway). Run searches on the job search engines for remote jobs. There are thousands....

And you do know that working from home is not couch surfing right....the only difference in the work is that you don't have a mindless commute daily and you don't have to sit at an office in front of the same computer you could easily be sitting in front of at home, or in a park, or on a boat, or in a camper in the rockies, or.....

Depending one your current commute time and cost, you could probably take a job for less and make more....
No doubt. My wife works from home. It takes a lot of discipline each morning she is working by 6:30 and goes strong until she has her hours. I may look into that. Money is great and I have obviously found my price because here I am. My biggest drive is being off in time to get to a baseball game or to watch my daughter cheer. I worked late and Saturdays for a long time. My dad worked 24/7 and was at my graduation and wedding and bothered by both. I want to be present. I guess being present and miserable probably is not what I had in mind.

I think its a little bit of everything

1. Lazy people that want everything for nothing...always had em...always will

2. Actual otherwise hardworking people that once they lost their jobs in 2020, took a look at their current situation, and either downsized, or found a better position more in line with their life.

3. Actual hustlers that were caught up working for someone else prior to 2020's shut down and realized they didn't like working for someone else and they are making a go of it themselves and are no longer a slave for someone else to create a fortune off the backs of their labor.

4. These last couple of generations (which I am not a part of). are not tied to material possessions like previous generations, what they own, how new their car is, how big their house is etc, is not really the pinnacle of their existence like previous generations. Their quality of life and experiences are more important to them than a new house or car etc.

Because that is their life focus, job flexibility is actually more important than just pure money.....I see companies and employers all the time that don't understand this, and think that they can keep employees with pure financial compensation and it is never going to work, they don't really care that much. They are out seeking jobs with remote opportunities, flexible work hours, unlimited vacation\flexible time off and they are finding them. And I don't blame them....

Employers need to get creative and get out of their traditional compensation bubble if they hope to recruit and retain good people...but some jobs just plain suck no matter what the pay, and those that are in those industries just have to get used to a never ending turnover and be thankful when they get a full staff...it kind of is what it is.
I fully understand this thus why automation will be the key to the new work force. My company is moving that route very quickly and can get more work 24/7 done at a overall cheaper rate, no benefits, and no risk of liability.

machine>people

No doubt. My wife works from home. It takes a lot of discipline each morning she is working by 6:30 and goes strong until she has her hours. I may look into that. Money is great and I have obviously found my price because here I am. My biggest drive is being off in time to get to a baseball game or to watch my daughter cheer. I worked late and Saturdays for a long time. My dad worked 24/7 and was at my graduation and wedding and bothered by both. I want to be present. I guess being present and miserable probably is not what I had in mind.
You are absolutely right, being present and having the time to enjoy the fruits of whatever labor you choose should be a priority. I have turned down jobs paying substantially more than I currently make, but I would have to go back to the 9-5 grind commute, tied to the office, 2 week vacation etc.

I currently work from home (or wherever in the world I want to work at the time) can travel pretty much whenever I want, I don't have "vacation" I just let everyone know I will be out of the phone loop and pretty much come and go wherever I want. I spend a lot of time on the phone at odd hours, and I am on my computer pretty much any time of the day but the trade off is that I almost never have to physically be somewhere. Over the last few years I have "worked" camping in the rockies, on a flats boat chasing permit, from a house in Europe, and on my front porch watching the dog play and the birds sing. It would probably take 60-70K on top of what I am currently making for me to even consider having to actually be in an office. If you add up my hours I work a lot, but it never really feels like work so I could care less if I have a phone call at midnight on a Sunday.

It's a tradeoff and I love being able to be present at most life events and enjoy things other than work...even when I am working.

It was not always that way, I missed a lot over the years trying to be there for work etc, I came to the realization that the only time that doing that makes any sense is if the business is your own.....That's what a lot of people are realizing with this employment reset, they want to be present, and they will wait to find the job that allows them to do it the best they can. Sometimes you gotta take a job no matter the conditions, but that does not mean you have to stay there.

I have no use for people that just don't care about working and want to be paid for nothing....but I also respect those that have decided to change their path and try to set their life more on their terms than someone else's.

I fully understand this thus why automation will be the key to the new work force. My company is moving that route very quickly and can get more work 24/7 done at a overall cheaper rate, no benefits, and no risk of liability.

machine>people
I agree and I agree with that approach, automate the menial soul sucking tasks...people (that want to) will find tasks that are more fulfilling and in line with whatever life goals they have. They will be happier, and better employees in what they choose to do, and they may have time to clear their minds and have the energy to create and develop new things etc.

I am fully on board with automating as many soul sucking tasks as possible.

I hear of a lot of places that are hiring and looking for help. I know there are a lot of remote opportunities. If you search you find a lot of websites. I am curious if anyone knows of recommendations that may weed out the scams etc. Is there a website that one would trust more than others? Think Im going to work on a resume. Its been a while

I hear of a lot of places that are hiring and looking for help. I know there are a lot of remote opportunities. If you search you find a lot of websites. I am curious if anyone knows of recommendations that may weed out the scams etc. Is there a website that one would trust more than others? Think Im going to work on a resume. Its been a while
I would look on Indeed and Monster, you can search for the industry you are in and enter remote in the search bar and that should be a start. That is not to say there are not scams on those websites, but they are used pretty often for all kinds of work. A Linkdin profile can help sometimes. There are people searching for workers on there sometimes as well. A friend of mine gets a job offer every week or so from his profile and he isn't actually looking, they just go by his work history description etc.

The thing is there were relatively few remote jobs/careers prior to Covid that were worth having. But there were some (medical billing for example) that were not strangers to the remote work force. Now, almost every company of any size is hiring remote workers. The question is, are they doing it because they have to, or because they realize that good people will be productive wherever they are? I'm sure if the Rona ever becomes normalized, many of the current remote opportunities will revert back to in office but some very large companies are hiring permanent remote (at least for now). If you have never heard of the company, or a web search doesn't give you positive feedback (like on Glassdoor.com for example) keep on looking. There are tons of scams.
Get your profile out there and simultaneously be as specific and general as you can about your experience. Then start applying.
NOW is the time.
I recently landed a job with what is by all accounts a "top 10" employer in the country. They've hired countless remote employees in the last year. (my role is not) It took three years of fruitless attempts with them and then suddenly, 'boom'. Within a week I had multiple offers from multiple companies. Go for it and good luck!

Covid caused a lot of people to figure out other ways to make money. That is the very definition of "hustle". People figured out how to make ends meet when companies weren't paying them. For some, the pros outweigh the cons. Can't blame people for making changes that benefit them. After all, companies always look out for themselves. Now those same companies are upset because people were forced to look out for themselves.

Every company in America has/ had the opportunity for massive bailouts and many took it. So why is it an issue when regular people get a few pennies? The problem is not the people who take a $1300 check or get govt assistance, it's the trillions of dollars in taxes that these massive corporations pocket and the govt that wastes trillions on bs instead of putting it into the people who make this country run.

I think its a little bit of everything

1. Lazy people that want everything for nothing...always had em...always will

2. Actual otherwise hardworking people that once they lost their jobs in 2020, took a look at their current situation, and either downsized, or found a better position more in line with their life.

3. Actual hustlers that were caught up working for someone else prior to 2020's shut down and realized they didn't like working for someone else and they are making a go of it themselves and are no longer a slave for someone else to create a fortune off the backs of their labor.

4. These last couple of generations (which I am not a part of). are not tied to material possessions like previous generations, what they own, how new their car is, how big their house is etc, is not really the pinnacle of their existence like previous generations. Their quality of life and experiences are more important to them than a new house or car etc.

Because that is their life focus, job flexibility is actually more important than just pure money.....I see companies and employers all the time that don't understand this, and think that they can keep employees with pure financial compensation and it is never going to work, they don't really care that much. They are out seeking jobs with remote opportunities, flexible work hours, unlimited vacation\flexible time off and they are finding them. And I don't blame them....

Employers need to get creative and get out of their traditional compensation bubble if they hope to recruit and retain good people...but some jobs just plain suck no matter what the pay, and those that are in those industries just have to get used to a never ending turnover and be thankful when they get a full staff...it kind of is what it is.

THANK YOU! So many people fail to comprehend exactly what you said. Well put!

Back
Top Bottom