• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

kruggerand $80 over spot

Have you lived thru hyperinflation? I have. You grow your own food and sell excess for PMs and maybe barter. You do not buy food.
The goal is come out wealthier at the end of it.
But you do you. Generations of people were wrong for hundreds of years when they stored wealth in PMs./sarcasm off
I have not, but I've read stories from many who have. A wise man told me instead of buying PMs to barter with later, but those things I would barter for now because they are much cheaper. Only after I had everything I could need to be independent (debt free, food storage, etc) should I invest in PMs.

May I ask what your experience with hyperinflation is?

I'm not trying to be contrary, just learning.

price of a silver quarter in 1965=.25 cents
price of gasoline in 1965=.25 cents
price of silver quarter in 2019=2-3 dollars
price of gasoline in 2019=2-3 dollars
price of silver quarter now=4.71
price of gasoline now=2.79

mark my words gasoline will be 4 bucks a gallon before the summer is thru
I'm betting it'll be $4 gal and everyone will still be arguing about masks and shots...

What would you do with physical gold? If you bought it today at spot (~$1780), how do you move it tomorrow without taking a bath. From what I could find, online bullion buyers are buying at around $1650 today. That's around a 7.5% loss. If you're buying it as an investment, that 7.5% differential sounds pretty rough AND gold is pretty high right now. I'm just curious about gold in general and physical gold in particular which seems to be a 7.5% worse investment.
Gold is not high right now, it is gold and always has been a trusted store of value for over 6000 years. It is the fiat USD that is low, that and other alternatives to generate more fiat are more attractive to traders. It is the paper market (futures, puts, calls, and other CTC corrupted games) that the sets the spot price.

Dealers play games with premiums also, but at least one can know what you are paying for.

I'm betting it'll be $4 gal and everyone will still be arguing about masks and shots...
Silver is both a monetary metal and an industrial metal. Try comparing the gasoline price vs gold at $32/oz.

Note also that a pre-64 quarter, then as well as today today trades at .7234 per dollar face value and was "fixed" to the price of gold at that time.

I have not, but I've read stories from many who have. A wise man told me instead of buying PMs to barter with later, but those things I would barter for now because they are much cheaper. Only after I had everything I could need to be independent (debt free, food storage, etc) should I invest in PMs.

May I ask what your experience with hyperinflation is?

I'm not trying to be contrary, just learning.
You are talking about Jugoslavia and Selco Begovic?

You can never have enough "stuff" so you can invest into PMs. Do you have 10 years worth of clothes and shoes for your kids to grow in? 10 years of spices? Car parts? How do you stack 10 years worth of consumables?
PMs preserve your wealth. Your garden feeds you.
If you want my potatoes or eggs, I will take your silver or fractional gold or gold jewelry.
I lived thru the fall of the Soviet Union and bread going from 20 cents a loaf to 2 dollars a loaf in 1 year. Food coupons allowing you to buy 2 pounds of meat, a pound of sugar and a pound of butter and flour a month.
PS fixed rate debt is great in inflation, if you have a job. You would be paying off the house with ever cheaper currency.
PPS I am talking about the parallel tracks, becoming food independent, paying off CC debt, and investing into PMs.
PPS look at gun inflation. 3 years ago an Arsenal 107SF could be bought for $800. Silver was $15 a troy ounce, retail price. 107sf was worth 53.33 tOz of silver. Now retail price for silver is $31 tOz or $1653 for 53.33 tOz. Can you buy an Arsenal 107FR for $1653. Yep.
Is it easier to store 53 tOz of silver or ammo worth $1653 (3.5 cases of 7.62x39) in todays market to barter with?

You are talking about Jugoslavia and Selco Begovic?

You can never have enough "stuff" so you can invest into PMs. Do you have 10 years worth of clothes and shoes for your kids to grow in? 10 years of spices? Car parts? How do you stack 10 years worth of consumables?
PMs preserve your wealth. Your garden feeds you.
If you want my potatoes or eggs, I will take your silver or fractional gold or gold jewelry.
I lived thru the fall of the Soviet Union and bread going from 20 cents a loaf to 2 dollars a loaf in 1 year. Food coupons allowing you to buy 2 pounds of meat, a pound of sugar and a pound of butter and flour a month.
PS fixed rate debt is great in inflation, if you have a job. You would be paying off the house with ever cheaper currency.
PPS I am talking about the parallel tracks, becoming food independent, paying off CC debt, and investing into PMs.
PPS look at gun inflation. 3 years ago an Arsenal 107SF could be bought for $800. Silver was $15 a troy ounce, retail price. 107sf was worth 53.33 tOz of silver. Now retail price for silver is $31 tOz or $1653 for 53.33 tOz. Can you buy an Arsenal 107FR for $1653. Yep.
Is it easier to store 53 tOz of silver or ammo worth $1653 (3.5 cases of 7.62x39) in todays market to barter with?

I have read stories from Selco, but that wasn't who I was quoting (James Yeager of Tactical Response). He's done a few podcasts on prepping that are full of good info.

Thank you for sharing your experience. And I'm no where close to 10 years worth of everything I need, but I am working toward being more food independent and debt free.

PMs can certainly be a good store of wealth, as long as things are for sale at least. Obviously PMs are much easier to store and/or transport than other physical forms of wealth.

What would you do with physical gold? If you bought it today at spot (~$1780), how do you move it tomorrow without taking a bath. From what I could find, online bullion buyers are buying at around $1650 today. That's around a 7.5% loss. If you're buying it as an investment, that 7.5% differential sounds pretty rough AND gold is pretty high right now. I'm just curious about gold in general and physical gold in particular which seems to be a 7.5% worse investment.

I agree 100%. I have asked this question many times in many places including Podcasts devoted to investing in gold and silver. I bought about 4500$ of Gold and Silver several years ago and took delivery before all the craze hit. In some cases I had a Proof 1oz gold eagle and lots of boxed silver eagles etc.

When the price went up I started trying to sell back to the online dealers like SD Bullion etc. They actually offered me BELOW spot on most items claiming to have too many in stock. I ended up running ads on here and Facebook groups looking for individual investors willing to pay CASH in person. Its very hard to do any large investments in physical coins or metals. I know the purists say my paper silver isn't really there, but I can sell it at market in 5 seconds for a very small transaction fee and instantly get paid. No ads no Facebook no driving halfway across the state to meet a buyer etc.

I cant even imagine how difficult it would be to try and sell 50K or 100K of silver eagles. As much as I believe in the real value of metals there are far too difficult to buy and sell and the spread above and below spot is criminal.

Back
Top Bottom