• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knife making question

Thanks for all the responses. In want to make a karambit, love the style but can't find one that I like. Looks like I can buy a good size piece of D2 steel to start. Not 100% sure on how in want to go about cutting it ( cutoff wheel, I have oxy-fuel torch, etc).
I've got a piece . It's 9x2x 1\8 ... $10

If a man could get a hold of a piece of the steel he wanted to make a knife out of, could he just cut it out, shape it, and heat treat it and call it good? I don't have a forge and probably won't have time to use it to make the investment worth it. Thoughts?

I was having this discussion with one of the owners of Old Towne Cutlery https://www.oldetownecutlery.com/ and he said people come in all the time and have a story about salvaging a lawnmower blade, etc. and all they have had to do to get it ready to make a knife. He laughed and said "I've got a perfectly clean piece of steel I can sell you for $11.00 and you'll at least know that you're starting with something worthy of becoming a knife." Made sense to me and reminded me of the first time I tried a cheap cigar and thought "Wow, cigars must not be for me." If I had started with a quality cigar, I would have enjoyed it right away and not been turned off. I know you're on the other side of town but they have a great shop and a ton of supplies (and even classes) if you find yourself in Cumming.

If a man could get a hold of a piece of the steel he wanted to make a knife out of, could he just cut it out, shape it, and heat treat it and call it good? I don't have a forge and probably won't have time to use it to make the investment worth it. Thoughts?
What is your plan to heat treat without the forge?

You know the rulz: MUST POST PICS!...........at least pics of the hawk! :D

It took 3 days and 3 Storage rooms but I found 2 of the Toma-
20201223_130450_resized.jpg
20201223_130349_resized.jpg
20201223_130432_resized.jpg
hawks made in Winder, I is a Rail-Road Spike the other Damascus Steel. The Problem with the Rail-Spike is that it's to light.

Okay, well I literally just started this last week and I used a steel bucket welded to a grate; think charcoal starter tool. I kept some air running under this with a mattress pump and just used lump kingsford.

Old iron 20lb weight as anvil.

I'm no blacksmith but the metal was red and I changed the shape. Trying to do a small practice rapier for my boy.

Okay, well I literally just started this last week and I used a steel bucket welded to a grate; think charcoal starter tool. I kept some air running under this with a mattress pump and just used lump kingsford.

Old iron 20lb weight as anvil.

I'm no blacksmith but the metal was red and I changed the shape. Trying to do a small practice rapier for my boy.

What are you making? I like handmade weapons. They are sturdy and last forever!

What are you making? I like handmade weapons. They are sturdy and last forever!
So I took a 2.5ish foot piece of round bar steel and basically started drawing it out. Going to just use a dowel and sand a bow in it, then plan to use a small metal mixing bowl as a bell (handguard).

Google fencing epee for general idea.

But more or less this is day 1 for me, and it's no as easy as it looks. There is definitely an art to it. I bought rebar in 6in slices to make some knives....but this first projectt (which is edgeless) has been hard enough to make me aware how green I am.

The method you describe is stock reduction and yes you can make knives this way. I once took an $8 file and with only a weeks work made a $5 knife from it using this method.
$8 --> $5 sounds like my small engine "restorations." Lol. Thanks for that term, lot of google results explaining the process.

Back
Top Bottom