• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kinetic bullet puller recs

You'll end up with a press-mounted one too. The RCBS one (for your press), that uses the collets, well, it works for some things and on some it just can't pull them. (Lead TC bullets in like .40 S&W? Forget about it.... not happening. So if there is a better press-mounted puller suggestion, buy it over the RCBS.

There's a minimalistic thingy for your press too. Remove the die, and it's basically just a pair of pliers you use to grab the bullet, then pull the handle to pull the case away from the bullet. I have two of them, and they don't grip the bullet tight enough to work for me. Vise-grips do the same thing, though they destroy the bullet.
I think that's the problem with most of the collet pullers, especially with something like 9mm or .40 S&W. You have to have enough surface area to grip the bullet, which is why kinetic pullers work best for me (I reload mostly handgun ammo).

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I inherited an RCBS kinetic. I stopped using the collet thingy and use shell holders. Works 90% of the time (I have some 35 remington that tear out of the shell holder before the bullet comes out!

Might get a collet puller some time for bulk unloading, but for now the RCBS has worked. I've been using it for 20 years now, not sure how long my dad had it before then.

I have a Midway from the 80's. Have used the shell holder trick and put a foam ear plug in the bottom from the get go. Helped that the guy who taught me how to reload knew those tricks. I hit mine against a 2"x5" steel cylinder with Cummings markings on the top. No idea what it is, but very effective anvil.

Kinetic, more time consuming but no markings on projectiles. I always hit against a 4×4 piece of wood. Collets are nice on a single stage if your doing batches, may get some markings depending on the crimping. I always used rcbs brand.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom