• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ken Onion Work Sharp...Anybody Fooled With One? Opinions?

I feel a bit more confident so I decided to try my luck with a little higher quality pocket knife. This ZT was my EDC for a few years and was abused, so I decided it was a good candidate. I re-profiled at 17 deg. This took about 20 min before I got a bur on 1 side. Then another 20 min on the other. I then followed up with the finer belts.
I then followed up with the leather wheel I made for my bench grinder.
DAMMIT MAN! This thing is sharp! I know me and I know that I will probably end up cutting something off or at the least, a few stitches!
This tool is awesome. Thanks Dogtown Darren Dogtown Darren for bringing this to my attention.

Screenshot_20181230-201036.png

20181230_200117.jpg

I feel a bit more confident so I decided to try my luck with a little higher quality pocket knife. This ZT was my EDC for a few years and was abused, so I decided it was a good candidate. I re-profiled at 17 deg. This took about 20 min before I got a bur on 1 side. Then another 20 min on the other. I then followed up with the finer belts.
I then followed up with the leather wheel I made for my bench grinder.
DAMMIT MAN! This thing is sharp! I know me and I know that I will probably end up cutting something off or at the least, a few stitches!
This tool is awesome. Thanks Dogtown Darren Dogtown Darren for bringing this to my attention.

View attachment 1934505
View attachment 1934514
That edge looks great. Nice job

Ken Onion WS
Very happy with it. I read all the instructions and did some cheaper knives before trying my nicer knives.

Stones and a ceramic stick for honing work well for me on pocket knives and kitchen stuff.

In my wood shop I use norton water stones starting with 600 grit and going to 8000. Wood cutting tools need a mirror finish and the stones do it without a lot of effort. If I pick up a tool that needs to be rehabilitated I start on a low speed grinder to keep from burning the metal. It’s satisfying to me to see what really sharp good steel can do in woodworking. Leaves a finish so smooth it doesn’t need sanding.
Hadn't thought about the finish they produce on the wood. Interesting...

My first edge. Cheapest knife I had, was pretty dull. Super sharp now. The tip is the hardest part and i don’t think i did a very good job on the tip. Once you leave the guide you’re on your own and the belt can take the tip for a ride. Majority of the edge is very sharp, happy with it for my first attempt. Also hit the thumb stud with the belt at 20°
876DCAD5-4FEF-4B15-AC21-90D5AAEFB3AB.jpeg

I figure since there is a lot of experience with the Work sharp here I would resurrect this thread. Like the OP my wife has asked me what I want for Christmas and a knife sharpener is something I just haven't brought myself to buy. Is everyone still pleased with their Work sharp? Is the Ken Onion the model to buy?

I’m too cheap for that.
What are my alternate options?
1x30 belt sander from Harbor Freight and 400-1000 grit belts, then get a 1x30 leather honing belt. I've really gotten my money out of my little belt sander. It does take some practice to get that perfect angle though.

I figure since there is a lot of experience with the Work sharp here I would resurrect this thread. Like the OP my wife has asked me what I want for Christmas and a knife sharpener is something I just haven't brought myself to buy. Is everyone still pleased with their Work sharp? Is the Ken Onion the model to buy?

Ken Onion is definitely the one the get. I used mine quite a bit and it works great. Small learning curve. BUT, I finally decided to learn how to use the wet stones I bought years ago and pretty much use those now. The only exception is the ZT that I use at work. I abuse that knife and need to sharpen it quickly every few weeks so I use the WS for it.

Back
Top Bottom