• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ken Onion Work Sharp...Anybody Fooled With One? Opinions?

Dogtown Darren

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
287   0
Reaction score
Title kinda says it all:

The Mrs. is on me about what I want for Christmas. Truth is, I don't want or need anything really. Well, I want a new truck, a million bucks, and to be surrounded by busty naked supermodels...but since that ain't happening, a knife sharpener might be pretty cool.

I've checked out the Work Sharp/Ken Onion Work Sharp at the Blade Show, at Cabelas, etc. They seem like a decent unit, but I don't know anyone that owns one or has experience with one.

Have any of you ever ran one or own one? Pros/cons? Opinions??

i've used one for the last 3 years, can't say enough great things about it. i think of bought 8 or 10 of them as gifts/presents for friends and family. i'm sure there are better sharpening systems out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find another as fast and foolproof. i even saw a knock-off version in wally world the other day.

Do you guys have the “regular” Work Sharp or the Ken Onion version? I don’t mind spending the extra money if that’s the way to go.

I have the original version. I would like to upgrade to the Ken Onion because the belts are wider and would likely last longer. Fortunately, I can get replacement belts made where I am that are far better than the ws belts.

I’m too cheap for that.
What are my alternate options?

old bench grinder + mdf wheel on one side + leather strop wheel on the other. I use this for larger blades and it works great. I use green and white buffing compounds on the mdf, then finish with the leather strop wheel.

Stones and a ceramic stick for honing work well for me on pocket knives and kitchen stuff.

In my wood shop I use norton water stones starting with 600 grit and going to 8000. Wood cutting tools need a mirror finish and the stones do it without a lot of effort. If I pick up a tool that needs to be rehabilitated I start on a low speed grinder to keep from burning the metal. It’s satisfying to me to see what really sharp good steel can do in woodworking. Leaves a finish so smooth it doesn’t need sanding.

Back
Top Bottom