• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak Fishing Thread

It all depends on the boat you get. There are trade offs on almost everything. Very stable also means less maneuverable. Less money has a tendency to mean more weight and less versatile... or just cheap.

As for other things, what are you going to use it for? I've spent more on rigging and convenience than I did on the boat and it's not a cheap boat. The two most expensive items were a solar/GPS and a trailer. My boat is big and stable, so I can ocean fish when I want to and I take a lot of tackle most of the time. The trailer isn't necessary, but it sure makes life a lot easier.

Rod holders, anchor, drift sock, live bait system, etc... Again, what will you use it for?

Primarily just for bass fishing local lakes, once I get comfortable with it, I woulf like to take it out on some rivers for trout. Thats about it. I dont want a really heavy kayak as I dont intend to buy a trailer for it. I dont want one I'm going to flip over if I set a hook to hard on a bass either.

Primarily just for bass fishing local lakes, once I get comfortable with it, I woulf like to take it out on some rivers for trout. Thats about it. I dont want a really heavy kayak as I dont intend to buy a trailer for it. I dont want one I'm going to flip over if I set a hook to hard on a bass either.
Light and easy is the way to go. You'll find that most Yaks designed for fishing don't flip very easy. With that said, one of the first things you should do after getting it is take it out and flip it on purpose so you can practice getting back in it. It's not hard if you know how to do it. It's also part of fishing from a Yak. Sooner or later it's going to happen. It's just not a big deal when it does.

I know this guy and he really knows what he's doing. He was kind of my guru when I got into yaks several years ago.

I’m currently paddling a Jackson Coosa but I’ve had probably over 50 different kayaks over the years. Even had Ride 135 and Jackson Cuda stolen last year along with paddles and fishing gear.

Was out on my Kayak this morning.

I was at the lower pool park on the Chatahoochee. ( where the hooch starts at buford dam) There were a ton of folks out there.

I learned the following.

1. It was "foggy" on the river due to water surface temp and the actual air temp. I couldn't see 25 ft in front of me. I aint doing early AM any more. It was weird.
2. Bring Waders. That part down to bowmans island is really a wading area. You can wade the whole thing.
3. Bring 1 pole and stick with it. OR Walk back to your car and switch set ups.
4. I think its a good put in point for a kayak but kinda tough to fish with moderately swift water.

Pics in a few

Foggy at Buford dam.
FE886F32-C016-4C51-8D74-B8EEC2C644EB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom