• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak Fishing Thread

20201018_122638.jpg

First time kayak fishing. It was fun but with such a small space I have to get more organized.

It's the seat bottom that's the issue for me, so the Manta Ray may not be quite what I'm looking for. My butt was sore and left leg was going numb while fishing yesterday.

I was not able to solve that problem until I got into a yak with an elevated seat. Just that 4-6 inches off the floor of the kayak changes everything.
Yep. I have a Pescador as well but have spent several hours in others and EVERY one that has a flat/non elevated eats my lunch. The Pescador Pro has an elevated seat. For the time being I just use one similar to this. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/onyx-outdoor-throwable-foam-cushion That couple of inches helps a ton. But the next boat will have an elevated and adjustable seat.

Yep. I have a Pescador as well but have spent several hours in others and EVERY one that has a flat/non elevated eats my lunch. The Pescador Pro has an elevated seat. For the time being I just use one similar to this. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/onyx-outdoor-throwable-foam-cushion That couple of inches helps a ton. But the next boat will have an elevated and adjustable seat.

While this kayak's primary purpose is fishing, we do a bit of recreational river paddling as well, and a higher seating position is usually less than ideal for moving water. I suppose I could pick up a dedicated recreational kayak, but we already have four kayaks and a canoe in the basement. :D

While this kayak's primary purpose is fishing, we do a bit of recreational river paddling as well, and a higher seating position is usually less than ideal for moving water. I suppose I could pick up a dedicated recreational kayak, but we already have four kayaks and a canoe in the basement. :D
I understand. Use the cushion to fish and sit on the seat as is for 'racing'. ;)

I'm planning on selling one of our Pescadors in the spring, so maybe I'll just replace it with a more recreational sit-in for river use. Maybe something along the lines of a Perception Sound 10.5 that can pull double-duty as a fishing kayak as well. We have a Sound 9.5 that seems to handle the rivers just fine.

Back
Top Bottom