• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak Fishing Thread

Picked up a Hobie with pedal drive for the wife and ordered her a Bimini Sunshade. With her chronic pain and health stuff comfort is an absolute must. I hope this set up works for her. No pics yet.
Which model Hobie? I love my Outback but modified and raised the seat a few inches. It sat a little lower than other brands of that size and width. I mounted a Hobie Vantage ST out of a Pro Angler in my Jackson Coosa FD. That has to be the best most comfortable yak seat I have been in.

Which model Hobie? I love my Outback but modified and raised the seat a few inches. It sat a little lower than other brands of that size and width. I mounted a Hobie Vantage ST out of a Pro Angler in my Jackson Coosa FD. That has to be the best most comfortable yak seat I have been in.

Hobie Mirage outback with the vantage seat. 2019 model. The seat was the what sealed the deal for me. Even has adjustable lumbar support.

Hobie Mirage outback with the vantage seat. 2019 model. The seat was the what sealed the deal for me. Even has adjustable lumbar support.
I have the 2020 Which is the same as the 2019. Once you try the mirage drive in your Shearwater you will be ordering another :becky:
I will be interested in your thoughts after you have used both the Outback and the Shearwater. Seat comfort, stability, etc. I was initially interested in the Shearwater and planned on buying the Mirage 180 Kickup drive for it if I went that route. (I really like that standing perch, at least in concept, on the Shearwater...) Ended up buying the Outback just because there were no Shearwaters imported yet to water test. Figured I couldn’t go wrong with the Hobie and loved it after water testing. The kick-up fins are a must-have feature for me where I fish or I would have saved a several hundred buying the 2019.

I have the 2020 Which is the same as the 2019. Once you try the mirage drive in your Shearwater you will be ordering another :becky:
I will be interested in your thoughts after you have used both the Outback and the Shearwater. Seat comfort, stability, etc. I was initially interested in the Shearwater and planned on buying the Mirage 180 Kickup drive for it if I went that route. (I really like that standing perch, at least in concept, on the Shearwater...) Ended up buying the Outback just because there were no Shearwaters imported yet to water test. Figured I couldn’t go wrong with the Hobie and loved it after water testing. The kick-up fins are a must-have feature for me where I fish or I would have saved a several hundred buying the 2019.

I have not used the pedals yet. I bought the Hobie yesterday. I drove home, put the Hobie in the driveway and loaded up the Shearwater. The layout of the shearwater, in regards to gear, is just fits me perfectly, and there is far more deck space. I also didn’t want to be without my depth finder. What might be a flaw is the way the pedal drive mounts in a pod. I can see some serious torque advantages to having the pedals attached directly to the hull as opposed to a drop in pod that is then fastened into the hull with flimsy clips. Won’t know if that matters for some time. I’m not spending any money on a pedal drive for the Shearwater any time soon.

The kick up fins are a huge advantage. I can see a repair in my future.

Reactions: MAK
troutman troutman where do you put in and take out on your float trips? I want to look at a map and plan about a 4 hour float with the wife.

A good easy float is put in off Of Douthit Ferry Rd next to the soccer fields and pull out off Hwy 113. Nice relaxing trip.

You wont be able to use the pedal drive on the Etowah though. Some places it's just deep enough to float a kayak.

If you still have my number, give me a call if you want to.

A good easy float is put in off Of Douthit Ferry Rd next to the soccer fields and pull out off Hwy 113. Nice relaxing trip.

You wont be able to use the pedal drive on the Etowah though. Some places it's just deep enough to float a kayak.

She shouldn't need to pedal on a float. I'll give you a ring.

We’ve caught some nice Stripes and Largemouth out of that stretch of river.

Mama needs pedals and shade.
8A40EA47-ABEE-44D1-B642-6DDED0E65BDD.jpeg
AC03B7C5-C201-44D3-A77C-F34606DFA0AB.jpeg
86F3723A-BE31-4694-9F7D-1E4EB0D10486.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom