• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak fishing the Florida Keys.

John Pennekamp State park, bay side!!! Bone fish, and grunts

john pennekamp state park

http://pennekamppark.com

Grew up not far from the Park, Did alot of diving at Christ of the Deep Statue. We ran out of North sound and carried a Canoe, taking the Channel through the Mangrove. While traveling to the open ocean, we saw a small lagoon though the thick Mangrove. We tied up on the roots and walked with the Canoe thought the Mangrove. Some of the largest Cuda and Tarpon in that Lagoon, we had a great time. It was about 3 acres total but we went every chance we could..Good Memories.

I don't know about fishing in a kayak, but there are always tarpon, barracuda, snook, and cobia running right off the highway on Duck Key. You may also want to try the Coupon Bight on Big Pine Key. It's a great place for kayaking/canoeing, but I don't know if people fish much there. Take a left on Long Beach Drive once you cross the bridge and enter Big Pine Key. You'll see the Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge on the left and go up another mile or so. There are a few places where you can put your kayak into the bight. Be sure to wear your insect repellant because the mosquitoes and no-see-ums may be quite active (especially the no-see-ums). I used to spend a lot of time in this area and always loved it.

I grew up is South florida and works many years in the keys, Tarpon, permit, bones, wahoo, grouper,snooks, cobia, and tuna were my favorite. In the everglades nation park Flamingo, reds were my favorite..Hated the skeeters. Skin cancer has kept me from going back..I was there when the statue of Christ of the deep was placed in John Penny camp State park in Largo. Worked on a drive boat before there was a requirement for, certification to us air. I miss having the Silver king dancing across the water, making me bow.

Back
Top Bottom