• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak fishing the Florida Keys.

A buddy of mine got dragged about 2 miles out at PC in a kayak. I can't remember what drug him or if he landed it.
I do prefer bigger boats to yaks though.

I'm heading up to Lanier for striper in a few weeks with Walt, the president of the Georgia Kayak Fishing association and professional kayak striper guide. I hope to catch a few, but mostly I'm looking for some serious instruction on the water. I've been out a few times in my new yak and can tell you I absolutely love it. It's much more fun than a bigger boat. When I had my 20 foot, it just seemed to much like work rather than fishing.

Many years ago I ran this race. http://7mbrun.com/ Somewhere along the way as I was looking over the side there were countless Tarpon swimming along in the same direction we were running at the same speed. It was almost like they were intentionally pacing with us. I swear every one of them looked 6' long!! I ran that entire section of the race tripping over my lower jaw. :cool: Every since then I've wanted to get down there and chase them.
If you go to Pennekamp, take a few hours and do a snorkel trip. It's DEFINITELY worth it.

Many years ago I ran this race. http://7mbrun.com/ Somewhere along the way as I was looking over the side there were countless Tarpon swimming along in the same direction we were running at the same speed. It was almost like they were intentionally pacing with us. I swear every one of them looked 6' long!! I ran that entire section of the race tripping over my lower jaw. :cool: Every since then I've wanted to get down there and chase them.
If you go to Pennekamp, take a few hours and do a snorkel trip. It's DEFINITELY worth it.

Yep, right now is when the tarpon are there. Unfortunately, I can't break away for another six weeks and they will probably have migrated north by then. Still plenty of other cool things to catch, though. Indian Pass on the Panhandle will be stacked up with them in late July and early August. I may have to try that, but the water can get rough and there are LOTS of sharks, so.....

Yep, right now is when the tarpon are there. Unfortunately, I can't break away for another six weeks and they will probably have migrated north by then. Still plenty of other cool things to catch, though. Indian Pass on the Panhandle will be stacked up with them in late July and early August. I may have to try that, but the water can get rough and there are LOTS of sharks, so.....

Sharks ! In all my life of fishing I never caught as many sharks not trying as I did in that area. They would even hit lures. We nicked name Port St. Joe. " Port St. Shark"

Back
Top Bottom