• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kahr CW45 Sucks

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
I sold a Kahr CW45 a while back and wanted to give that a deal a little breathing room before I posted this. Yes, this post is super long but really it's intended for anyone that might be researching Kahrs. I'm posting this in reviews because this is my experience but I don't mind contrasting viewpoints.

I was 100% honest and forthcoming in that deal that sold mine so I sleep just fine about it. I will also note that apparently some Kahr CW45s perform just fine. It's my understanding that the gunsmith work I paid for should make the one I sold just fine. The problem is that not all of them do.

I loved the Kahr CW45 for it's general form. It was the best small 45 I could find with an acceptable capacity and ease of shooting. It's no 1911 but it felt fine at the range. Many others were far worse in that regard.

The problem... My Kahr CW45 would stove pipe every once in a while. I researched the crap out of the issue and had a gunsmith do a little work on it. They polished the feed ramp and just did minor adjustments to the stock parts. It performed fine after the gunsmith work, but that was with a very well lubricated gun and with perfect stance. The range deemed the gun to be in perfect working order so I asked them for a trade-in value. They took an uncomfortable amount of time to give me a response. They gave me a number but at the same time suggested I try a website called the Outd... LOL. Anyway, I still didn't have confidence with the gun so I sold it (with all details included in the ad).

I understand the importance of firearm maintenance but I have fired a lot of firearms without them being super clean. Many have been fired by new shooters with limp wrists. Almost all still function without issue. That was not the case with my Kahr CW45. Apparently, it has a reputation for being cranky. For me, I just don't have patience for a cranky gun when there are so many forgiving firearms on the market.

Now, I stick with 1911s for 45acp or any number of 9mm handguns for general use.

I had a Kahr CM9 a few years back. When I bought it I lubed the slide an frame very well. On the way to the range i burnished them together by racking the slide several hundred times . It still stovepiped 3 times with the 1st mag. Once on the 2nd mag ,but never again . I liked that lil pocket gun, but i sold it because kahr says slingshot the slide and dont use the slide stop to chamber a round.
If i did use the slide release it nosed the round into the ramp ;(

I got the chance to shoot the 3" CW45 and CW9 before they hit the market. The CW9 worked fine all day, The little CW45 literally fell apart on the second shot. It didn't explode or fly into pieces or anything, the slide fell off and parts fell out. The four of us looked at each other stunned and laughed, "That won't make the write up will it.".

Is this a review or an I'm sorry for selling you a gun I hated post?
LOL, fair enough, maybe I sound a little over apologetic. Maybe the bold was overkill. I've seen threads get out of hand with people calling out sellers for bad deals. I just wanted to make it clear I did that buyer right. Perhaps I'm overprotective of my feedback integrity. For the record, I'm not sorry one bit.

The real point is that the Kahr CW45 has a history of problems and that was my experience also. What I failed to mention is that a number of internet posts blame the shooter. IMO, the technique of the shooter shouldn't be so critical when there are so many guns out there that perform just fine regardless of the shooter.

I’ve had my CW45 for over 5yrs and probably 700 rounds through it. I’ve had 3-4 stove pipes but only with reloads, found that they were a tad short. Never had an issue with boxed ammo.

i had the pm 40....shot every round i fired throught it..not 1 single stove pipe...but with that said...ive had brand new custom kimbers stove pipe all day long on all sorts of ammo...beretta 92's...same ...each in every firearm is just a little different than the next....automation is no more perfect than us humans....some things in life need a little adjustment...its just the way it is...

I believe Kahr also recommends a 500 round break in period. I had one for a little while, and it performed fine.
Yeah, that's what I was told when the problem first started so I kept shooting it. The gun was used when I got it and I shot more than 500 myself through it. Still, that kind of goes towards my point. Lots of firearms on the market perform just fine out of the box.

I get that sometimes you just get a cranky gun, it can happen with any model. The CW45 has more of a reputation for being cranky though. The gunsmith even noted that this model overall is finicky.

Back
Top Bottom