• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

... just a lower class of trader lately?

Until this week... me either.

I've had folks just go silent or come up with some kind of excuse. Thats fine, slightly annoying, but I can understand. But to confirm the day before and then not show up the day of... I don't understand.

I guess I'm gonna have to have a MUST contact 1 hour before agreed upon time disclosure added. You'd think that a confirmation less than 24 hours in advance would be good enough. I guess not.
My word is my bond!! It could be a month later if I said I would be there and I’m not I’m dead period!!

The thing about "negative ratings" is that anybody can abandon their account and create a new one whenever they get too many negatives. Plenty of us won't hesitate to deal with new people. Which would be fine, and pretty low risk in my opinion, if they were truly NEW, but not if they were members with a bad reputation who'd already burned too many bridges under earlier identities.

I've had great experiences with new members, but also a few terrible ones.

The key I've found is to make sure they have skin in the game. I won't drive 2 hours to a meet for a 1-trade newbie like I did once, only to get stood up and ghosted. If they have no history the meet is near me, on my schedule and on my terms.

I always talk to the person at least once by phone as well. You get the best first impression from someone by talking with them, and the worst problems I ever had on ODT was from dealing with people over texts or PMs. Have a 2 minute conversation with someone and you will know if they are BS or not in most cases.

I’ve never ghosted or been ghosted. Sure, some people have been a few minutes late, but always good communication to let the other party know there’s slow drivers on the roadways. I feel bad for pulling out of a deal a couple days ago, but I wrote that I was changing my mind and gave the reasons why and apologized for any inconvenience and he has it back up and SPM again with someone else. (Hopefully) no harm, no foul. Agree though, and this current market and behavior does have me think twice bout dealing with anyone with low or no feedback. I’ve never had reason, or given anyone reason, to warrant negative feedback, so I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt still. I must say, I’ve only met awesome people on here.

I know I know, beating the dead horse, but I really gotta get this off my chest.
I have not listed anything for sale (cell or sail) for quite some time. However, I have been watch the WTB area to see what folks are looking for. If I have listed one of those items for sale previously, I'd send a PM and say I still have this and send a link to the previous listing. I have not changed any prices.
I set 4 separate deals last week this way... 4. Communication with all the folks seemed to be good to above average. Ratings were fine although a few were single digits. Anyway, today was supposed to be the last deal (I actually held the item an extra week so help the buyer out). Out of 4 deals set and communicated 2 happened and 2 just didn't show up. On the 2 no shows, everything was confirmed the day before and the communication was fine up until the day of. Then... nothing, crickets, nada, no response AT ALL.

Look, if something comes up or change your mind, just let me know. Having me drive to the location and wait an hour for you to not show up or call is not only rude, but also disrespectful of my time.

Rant over. Live and learn. But over the many years I have been trading here I have never had 50% of folks no show and just flake out.
~checks feedback left by overdfl~

Dang...you can have a negative feedback score? I had no idea. :pound:

Back
Top Bottom