• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep grille covers cause overheating?

HVACGuy

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
136   0
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a TJ I’m building, and I was considering a Gladiator grille cover instead of having the grille cleaned up and professionally painted (worried the color won’t match due to age difference.) The problem is I’ve read some stories that the grille covers cause overheating. Anyone here have any experience with these?

As it restricts the air intake, cooling will be somewhat reduced. It is only a problem if you had marginal cooling to start. Got auto tranny? Got AC? Tow heavy loads? If not, probably not an issue.

You know the drill if the temp starts up while you are on the road.

Shed all loads, turn the fan on high and the heat on hot. Fix the cooling problem when you get home.

My cooling improved when I installed an all aluminum radiator. Old one needed repair, and few radiator shops around these days. Got one off the net for a hundred bucks, and cooling has been a non issue for the past 6 years. I do have some stuff mounted ahead of the grill, so I have reason to watch my temp.

eta: I think you will be fine, just watch your gauges during the first hot spells.

You know the drill if the temp starts up while you are on the road.

Shed all loads, turn the fan on high and the heat on hot. Fix the cooling problem when you get home.

My cooling improved when I installed an all aluminum radiator. Old one needed repair, and few radiator shops around these days. Got one off the net for a hundred bucks, and cooling has been a non issue for the past 6 years. I do have some stuff mounted ahead of the grill, so I have reason to watch my temp.

eta: I think you will be fine, just watch your gauges during the first hot spells.
Oh yeah, I know the drill. This is my 5th 4.0, lol. (I’ve had 2 XJ’s 1 ZJ, and a YJ.) I haven’t had any cooling issues on or off road with this one so far. *knocks on wood*
Might try it and see how it goes. Wouldn’t be hard to pull over and remove it if I had to. Only goes on with 4 bolts.

Back
Top Bottom