• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

jacketed vs plated

All I can reply to is what I know as its what i have checked out and use as to plated projectiles.
First i load Plated in every caliber that i shoot, 380, 9MM, 38 Super, 10 MM, 45 Acp.(for plinking/target!
the projectiles cost me a fair bit less than FMJ and certainly about half of what JHP cost.
I have tried both Rainers & berrys in .355 ( my 38 supers) and they really do not expand even at those velocities when fired through milk jugs of water, the nose does deform a bit but nothing that i consider expansion, these are in 1250 FPS range out my 5 inch 38 super.(115 & 124 grain)
at 9Mm velocites, not a chance they will expand, and I also used the 115 grain hollow point Raniers, no real difference in the projectile except that it caved in a bit at the hollow point opening.
as for soft swaged lead core, thats right but the plating makes a difference , same as to reloading data.
I push the 38 Super as mentioned in the 1250 FPS, the 10 MM at 1400 and a bit FPS, the 9mm is in the 1050-1100 FPS, no flying apart, no wooble, they shoot great for me.
as for picking a self defense round, well thats a very personal decision but honestly a solid copper projectile is best as it has no jacket, it can be pushed very fast, it maintains virtually all its weight and has penetration as well, downside its a bit more costly.
the second choice in my opinion is any brand of modern self defense designed projectile( hollow point) as they are computer designed with tapering jackets, bonded cores and usually are going to produce the best of both expansion and penetration in a given round.
AS to FBI protocol it makes no sense to me to worry about such unless its a duty round thats carried by law enforcement,, I mean if you get into shooting through automobiles and windshields then you are really pushing the self defense envelope.
I think any of the modern self defense factory rounds do their job very well, the thing is make sure they run in your gun flawlessly, don't matter what Officer BOB that lives down the street uses or the FBI if it won't run reliabally in your weapon.

I was very suprised the jacketed bullet expanded to dimensions that it did. both were equally accurate but the expansion was very suprising. weight retention in the fmj was also very good. I believe the barry's bullet is harder than i expected as well. thanks to all for input.

You guys buying the Berry's at such savings should share your sources. I can buy 9mm 124 grain FMJ for about $90.00/K delivered. How much cheaper are the plated?

They're all out of stock now, but here you go. Precision Delta, Everglades ammo, Brassman etc.

I google search "bulk bullets for reloading" on occasion and follow leads found at other sites.

i loaded some berrys plated 44 hollow point bullets recently. 44 mag that is.i started with min psi and had good results.BUT,i had six rounds loaded to max psi and one of them grenaded before hitting the paper target!!! i was a cool shotgun effect but not safe im sure! i will remain at min psi for these from now on. in my opinion they are great for 44 spl target shooting or low end 44 mag.they were also very cheap.

I have HK usp's in 9mm and 45 acp and was wondering if plated bullets would have a negative effect on polygonal rifiling i am getting the stuff together to start reloading I picked a bad time but i have a bunch of ga arms 9mm plated 115gr With new speer +p nicle plated brass i intend to reload it with 115gr plated and 147gr subsonic. What I have gathered from the posts here is that they will be fine as long as i load them with an intermediate charge.

Back
Top Bottom