• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I've been seeing a LOT of Teslas on the road...

Yes, purchased a Tesla Model S for my boss and got to go through the orientation and then got to drive it back to the office. I own muscle cars, sports cars and sport bikes and the torque on this thing blows away everything I own. On GA 400 I floored it at 80 and the push in my back was INCREDIBLE and I was over 125 in 2 to 3 seconds. Pretty amazing stuff...

View attachment 232946
Somebody call those tesla rangers....
Have you seen the crash test rating for the Tesla's?? Here's a snippet or three...

Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception.

During testing at an independent facility, the Model S refused to turn over via the normal methods and special means were needed to induce the car to roll.

Of note, during validation of Model S roof crush protection at an independent commercial facility, the testing machine failed at just above 4 g's. While the exact number is uncertain due to Model S breaking the testing machine, what this means is that at least four additional fully loaded Model S vehicles could be placed on top of an owner's car without the roof caving in.

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pr...hieves-best-safety-rating-any-car-ever-tested

Have you seen the crash test rating for the Tesla's?? Here's a snippet or three...

Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception.

During testing at an independent facility, the Model S refused to turn over via the normal methods and special means were needed to induce the car to roll.

Of note, during validation of Model S roof crush protection at an independent commercial facility, the testing machine failed at just above 4 g's. While the exact number is uncertain due to Model S breaking the testing machine, what this means is that at least four additional fully loaded Model S vehicles could be placed on top of an owner's car without the roof caving in.

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pr...hieves-best-safety-rating-any-car-ever-tested

Apparently mini-vans weigh a bit more....

I have never seen any info regarding the longevity and replacement of the batteries. Or..... like some of the phones, just throw it away and buy a new car?

Just sell it before it's 8 years old (that's the warranty on them). Can't imagine the typical Tesla buyer is going to have one anywhere near that long anyway. But yeah... the batteries aren't cheap! :dizzy:
I do love how they market them as "Save $600/month on gas!" Because you know... everyone spends $600 a month on gas and electricity is apparently "free". ;)

This. I have one friend who drives one because it's soooo greeeeeeen and he's a self-righteous ass. He thinks power plants run on owl farts, I guess. Never mind that children are working as miners to get all the metals to make the batteries <insert Ricky Gervais speech here>

Nice cars and well built but I don't want the inconvenience of having to recharge. During the holidays there were charging stations with hours of waiting time to get a charge because the line was so long. I'll just keep putting gas in my 4-cyl Camry.

I have never seen any info regarding the longevity and replacement of the batteries. Or..... like some of the phones, just throw it away and buy a new car?

So far batteries are running a little longer than Tesla expected them to, but they do warranty the Model 3 for 70% of original range after 8 years. I'd bet with the number of them out there, replacement battery packs will be like small block Chevy parts in 8 years.

If you have a good source of electricity these cars can be really cheap to run compared to gas cars. You just have to stay within their range and have a good recharge plan. Almost all electric companies have some kind of EV plan that gets you dirt cheap power during off-hours (I think GA Powers is 1 cent/kWh overnight).

I'm looking at one of these as a commuter car. I'll keep the pickup since it's paid off and has basically infinite range, but it sucks (gas) as a commuter vehicle, and I have a free charger available at one of my work sites.

Looking at leasing one of the Model 3 Performance models this Spring. Those things are blindingly fast but still have 300 miles of range, which will do me for a week w/o recharges. Plus that safety rating is a good thing in ATL traffic and driving through the hood when that's the only way home.

Back
Top Bottom