• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It's that time again - F150 Spark Plugs

Fuel injector cleaner is a good way, we used to run one with a IV type contraption. Then change the plugs . Make sure you have the correct spark plug tools

Chances are you have already got this job done but I will give you and other members this information for future use. Several days BEFORE you start, put some GOOD fuel system cleaner in your tank. This will break loose and carbon build up on the extended shank on these spark plugs..The carbon build up is a big factor in causing the plugs to separate. The plugs were originally crimped together instead of tig welded. Get the engine good and warm before removing the spark plugs. They come loose much easier this way. If you hear a squeaking sound when turning the plug, STOP!!!! Turn the plug back and forth a half round or so a few times. Shoot some penetrating oil down at the threads and give enough time for it to work in. (I usually do another plug or two then go back to that one). NOTE****** On the passenger side rear plug (#4), if you take a few minutes to disconnect the computer connectors and remove the computer, you get easy access to that plug. Make sure to disconnect the positive battery clamp first. When you get ready to install the new MOTORCRAFT plugs, put a coat of NICKEL BASED anti seize on the threads..Copper based will not hold up to the intense heat. DO NOT get the anti seize on the igniter tip. It will burn off and screw up your O2 sensors, ( ask me how I know). I have replaced several dozen sets of these spark plugs and have not broken one yet. But I ALWAYS expect one to break every time I do a set. Hope this helps and if you already have done this, maybe it will help someone else in the future.

Great advice!

I've always wondered why people change the coils while they're changing spark plugs? A coil is either good or bad. I've changed the spark plugs in my 2002 f150 twice now. The first time was at 110k miles in 2010 and this past weekend at 214k miles. All of the coils on my truck are still original and I've never had any misfire issues.

I've always wondered why people change the coils while they're changing spark plugs? A coil is either good or bad. I've changed the spark plugs in my 2002 f150 twice now. The first time was at 110k miles in 2010 and this past weekend at 214k miles. All of the coils on my truck are still original and I've never had any misfire issues.

A coil is a wear item. Now changing them you might not notice a huge mpg difference or any at all. But they do get weaker over time and at 200k I would change out the coils if it were my truck. One its peace of mind that I'm not going to have a miss fire come out of no where. Two nothing gets 200k on it without wearing out in some form.

Biggest coil killer aside from oil leaks (grounding) is high mileage excessive gapped plugs. Keep the plugs changed and you most likely wont ever need a coil. But they do get weaker and wear out eventually.

Back
Top Bottom