• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It it worth the cost and effort to Vacuum Seal Food?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do you vacuum seal the mylar bags? What kind of mylar bags do you use? I saw a prep video on youtube where a guy was sealing mylar bags with a vacuum sealer. His method looked like it was ripe for potential failures.
I purchased a bag sealer the same time I bought the bags. Got them off Amazon. 4 mil thickness if I recall correctly. The bags are pretty cool. After you put your food in, add an oxygen absorber and seal it, when the opportunity requires you to open the bag, you don't open the sealed end, you open the opposite end. You can then use whatever portion you need and close the bag with the ziplock seal on the bag. I would recommend using the reserved portion rather soon as it is no longer oxygen free and will spoil if not used within a reasonable time.
I have seen some Youtube videos of people using an iron and a 2x4 to seal mylar bags but for the additional expense I feel the bag sealer is worth it.

How long of a shelf life could I expect from vacuum sealed food?

What vacuum sealers do you recommend?

What are your experiences with vacuum sealers and vacuum sealed food?
It depends on what your mission is. Saving food short/medium term? I don't know.

Saving food long term is easier done with the LDS/Mormon store as rbstern rbstern mentioned (30 year shelf life). Or cheap mylar bags with oxygen absorbers (all from Trueprep) filled with rice, lentils, beans, etc and closed with my wife's Chi hair straightener. Didn't cost much at all.

Who makes the best mylar bags? I saw a youtube where a guy sealed some rice in some cheap ones for long term storage. A few years later he noticed that he could see the rice through the bag and most of the mylar had came off.

It depends on what your mission is. Saving food short/medium term? I don't know.

Saving food long term is easier done with the LDS/Mormon store as rbstern rbstern mentioned (30 year shelf life). Or cheap mylar bags with oxygen absorbers (all from Trueprep) filled with rice, lentils, beans, etc and closed with my wife's Chi hair straightener. Didn't cost much at all.
I looked at the LDS/Mormon store. Have you tried any of their food?

Attachments

• Foodsaver.jpg
    Foodsaver.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 14
I buy big sides of salmon at Costco and cut into portions, vacuum seal and freeze. Works great. For foods going in the freezer it's my go to. For other, non frozen bulk storage I use mylar, o2 absorbers and buckets.

Back
Top Bottom