• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this True or just Local gun shop lore

You can get it back if it was legally owned and you have proof of purchase, I got one back 19 years ago that had been used in a shooting. A High Std 22, 9 shot,

I'm not reading any of the posts because honestly I just don't care.

I will say this though. Back in the 2000-2003ish timeframe a family member of mine was working private security and was involved in a shooting. He shot and killed a guy who was on top of him trying to stab him. The responding officers did take his Kimber Pro Carry and kept it in lockup until my family member was cleared and no charges were filed.

Unfortunately, the Kimber had a large amount of blood on it when it was taken in, and sometime later when he got it back the blood was dried and still on the gun. The blued finish was trashed, and the gun had large amounts of rust on it (because it's a Kimber that sat unoiled for longer than 20 minutes.)

So while he certainly didn't lose his gun, what he got back was far that shiny new gun he had in his holster moments before having to use it.

That said, in a life-saving situation, I don't care if I am carrying a 1 of a kind, made and engraved by John Browning himself, multi-million dollar prototype. If the gun saves my life, I don't care what happens to it after that. It has done its job.

At least guns have serial numbers.

You know what cops do with evidence that doesn't have a factory S/N?

They scratch / engrave the criminal case number on it!

Imagine what that would do to the value of that antique silver teapot, the Monet oil painting, or your little dog Oscar?

(just kidding about the dog--- I think)

Gotta do what you gotta do!

I believe he was using a technicality in having his gun at work. As soon as he left the building he would put the slide back on. I guess when you work in a libtard place like Emory and the pay is very good you do what you can to get by. Because you know gun free zones are so safe (insert sarcasm emogee here)

Just assume you will lose possession for a very long time due to:

1. It is evidence.

2. Government red tape, elections such as a new Sheriff, Chief or mayor being elected and all the old staff are terminated.

3. Firearm is "miss-labeled" and is destroyed, sold or lost.
~say what you want, it happens.

Soooooo.....buy two...then if and when you get it back you will have three guns because you went and bought another so you would have two.

I have personal experience with the above scenarios and having a gun in limbo hell sucks.

30 years ago, an old man a widower who lived a few doors down from one of my good friends shot a crack addict that broke into his house and threatened him with the kitchen knife. The intruder violently broke-in, smashing through a locked screen door.

The cops took all of the old man's weapons which I think was a single shotgun, a .22 rimfire rifle. and a military combat knife or bayonet.
They left the man absolutely defenseless.

Not under arrest, but subject to retaliation by the dead thug's family, friends, or fellow gang members.

I looked up the old man's land line in the phonebook and called him early the next evening confirmed that he had been left defenseless. I offered to lend him a single barrel 12 gauge shotgun and a few rounds of buckshot. Free, for as long as it took for him to get his guns back from the police evidence room.

He thanked me for the offer but he said his adult son had also offered him guns --bigger and better guns. But he decided he didn't want to stay in the neighborhood for a while; he was going to live with one of his grown kids in another state for some weeks or months.

Seems like a lot of anti cop rhetoric arose from the OP overhearing a customer saying he has a friend in LE... Two things that I would want close by in a bad situation, is my firearm and an officer who' willing to die to protect me and my family. If either of these options allow me another day above ground, I'm grateful. Thanks to all officers and first responders for your service.

Seems like a lot of anti cop rhetoric arose from the OP overhearing a customer saying he has a friend in LE... Two things that I would want close by in a bad situation, is my firearm and an officer who' willing to die to protect me and my family. If either of these options allow me another day above ground, I'm grateful. Thanks to all officers and first responders for your service.
Most people wouldn't mind anyone willing to die for them in a bad situation. I consider myself far from anti-LEO however the problem is the Scott Peterson's of the world make that scenario one you better not be counting on.

Just curious about these lost guns. If the evidence lockers are so poorly managed, how do they ever make it to the court for trials? How many trials are thrown out because the evidence is lost? Is this a common problem?

Rosewood

I agree with this.

However, I have discovered over the years there are a lot of LEOs out there that don't know the laws they are tasked to enforce. Especially those that are not "Gun guns", typically do not know a lot about gun laws. Shoot, lots of them can't tell you the model gun they are carrying. There are others that study laws and make it a point to get it right. There are a lot of laws to know, so not a total dis on not knowing them all.

I have also learned that just because some works in a given field or even has a degree doesn't mean they really know everything about it. I am sure all of us have worked with someone that is incompetent in their job even with training and even degrees and we don't understand why they wasn't fired long ago. Just because you have studied something or have a degree in something or performed a job for 30+ years doesn't mean you really understand what you are doing. Lots of folks limp along in a given job for decades just getting by and for some reason, the powers that be don't fire them.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom