• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this a good time to open a Roth IRA ?

If your doing it for your retirement do a Roth IRA. Taxes paid up front vs later when your old and not working. Put 6 k a year in it every year. That’s what I did last year.

Personally I would wait for the next dive coming up at next earnings announcements then jump in to maximize growth. Is this a retirement account or just looking for better return on your savings?

Just somewhere to put some emergency money. Hoping on a better return than deposit.

I'm going to put 14k in now, (7k - 2019, 7k - 2020), and see what it does.

Just somewhere to put some emergency money. Hoping on a better return than deposit.

I'm going to put 14k in now, (7k - 2019, 7k - 2020), and see what it does.

If the money is truly the “emergency fund”, a Roth IRA isn’t going to be readily available. There will be taxes and penalties for an early withdrawal.

You hedging your bets that your income tax will be higher when you retire then it is while you're earning. If your tax rate/income drops at retirement then you may have overpaid taxes with the up front method of a ROTH. However, if you move to Florida it would be a moot point since they don't have a state income tax.

You hedging your bets that your income tax will be higher when you retire then it is while you're earning. If your tax rate/income drops at retirement then you may have overpaid taxes with the up front method of a ROTH. However, if you move to Florida it would be a moot point since they don't have a state income tax.

This isn't retirement money, (I've had some major financial swings over the years, retirement's not in my future ! lol). This is part of my 'emergency money', which I keep liquid, and just seeing if I can get more than 1.x on it in the relatively short term.

Back
Top Bottom