• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is Reloading for You?... The following is almost Religious!

Propilot

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score

HANDLOADS​

Handloading is dangerous and before beginning to experiment you should get a mentor and learn the fine points. It’s an engineering discipline in its own right and deserves respect, care and attention. Be honest with yourself before getting into reloading or handloading. Can you stick to rigorous scientific procedures? Can you walk away after finding a load that isn’t as fast as you’d like but is deadly accurate? Can you afford the time? Do you have the patience? Do you have the math skills? Do you have the ability to give 100% attention to details? Can you establish a procedure and STICK TO IT? If you can’t answer every single one of those questions with a firm and unambiguous “Yes!” then it’s not for you. I know it seems cool and it looks easy, and it actually is both but there’s a lot of stuff you have to just know before you start doing it alone. After 20+ years of doing it I still occasionally make a mistake and that often requires me to pull apart ammo I just loaded and start over from step one. My quality control procedures allow me to catch my own mistakes before they get ugly. Please, as a favor to me: Find a mentor before you start handloading. Learn from them. Ask all the stupid questions you can because after you’ve had a case blow apart on you or a gun catastrophically self-disassemble under your face it’s already too late. You cannot undo an explosion and you cannot undo permanent debilitating injury and you can’t turn the clock back on a mistake. Please, be careful. If you need help, ask me. I will help you if I can. Nobody deserves to go this alone.

I have been loading brass for 30 years, but have just ventured into shotshell and have found a mentor, and most thankful for his sage advice

There is an old sage that goes something like this...

"Learn from the mistakes of others, because you will not have time to learn then all yourself!"

I was loading some 308 for a buddy's rifle...he wanted to help. He was drinking...so I said "ok, just seat bullets. go in order on the loading block."

5 min later I dump a load and notice things are out of order on my loading block. Ended up weighing every load he had put a pill in...4 rounds with no powder. WTF, never again...

he was all "honest mistake man, don't yell at me." this is life or death ****. I don't know if a LRP mag primer can push a 155gr bullet into a barrel...but I sure as **** didn't want to be next to him when he found out.

Some people do NOT have the attn to detail needed to load ammo.

OH, he also didn't know you were supposed to take the firing pin and bolt out of the BCG when you clean it. His rifle was short stroking...I pulled it apart...so bad man, so bad. the firing pin channel...

tl:dr teaching a grown man how to clean his rifle...that bcg had about 5k rounds fired w/o real cleaning. over 4-5 years...

OH, he also didn't know you were supposed to take the firing pin and bolt out of the BCG when you clean it. His rifle was short stroking...I pulled it apart...so bad man, so bad. the firing pin channel...

tl:dr teaching a grown man how to clean his rifle...that bcg had about 5k rounds fired w/o real cleaning. over 4-5 years...
Drinking and loading are a NO NO! I only have a few that I would trust reloads from..I wish I still could,,It's your weapon and life you put on the line, Trusting someone else to load your rounds..

I was loading some 308 for a buddy's rifle...he wanted to help. He was drinking...so I said "ok, just seat bullets. go in order on the loading block."

5 min later I dump a load and notice things are out of order on my loading block. Ended up weighing every load he had put a pill in...4 rounds with no powder. WTF, never again...

he was all "honest mistake man, don't yell at me." this is life or death ****. I don't know if a LRP mag primer can push a 155gr bullet into a barrel...but I sure as **** didn't want to be next to him when he found out.

Some people do NOT have the attn to detail needed to load ammo.

Alcohol and Gunpower don't mix... Just look at the mess the ATF has made!

I've only been at it for about 7 years. I've loaded roughly 20,000 rounds thus far and still find it a little bit intimidating sometimes. Totally agree with the recommendation to seek the help of a mentor! If I can help anyone in the Macon area, feel free to hit me up.

Back
Top Bottom