• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it worth getting a membership to the NRA?

The NRA (Negotiating Rights Away) is like the little girl in the Shake 'N Bake commercial. They'll file an amicus brief if they think the filing org is going to win their case. This way they can claim they "helped" with the suit without risking anything.

I once joined them for 5 years, at the bargain basement price of $25/yr. I got a magazine once a month and CONSTANT calls begging for more money to "fight this.....fight that." I finally told them, "I already gave you money. What the hell did you do with it? Buy Wayne a tie for his $2000 suit or something? Screw you - AND DON'T CALL ME AGAIN!"

was a member for a few years until about 5 years ago when all the "crap" started coming out. No longer a member, but I still get a couple phone calls a month.

I tell them to call back when Wayne is gone.

I’m a lifetime member primarily because of Charleton Heston… if it was good enough an organization for him to head up for a while it was good enough for me.
No offense intended here, but how much did your lifetime membership you bought when Charleton Heston was the head cost?

No offense intended here, but how much did your lifetime membership you bought when Charleton Heston was the head cost?
I believe the total was $500 for the easy pay life membership. I have used some of the discounts over the years for a car rental. And the insurance is there if I need it. I like the Rifleman magazine each month and the election ratings for each candidate…. But to each his own, not my only membership but one I’m comfortable with my decision.

I've been a member of the NRA for maybe 10 years. I downgraded to Associate Member about 5 years ago because I have no interest in the magazines, and to be frank, every time I renew I have to put money in the swear box. The reason I DO renew is that it's still useful for the training they facilitate.

For those states that demand that CCW permitees have to take a course beforehand, the NRA "Basic Pistol" course is pretty much the gold standard. Taught properly, someone who has gone thru' that course and passed it has at least been exposed to enough information that they'll be safe at a range, or out in public exercising their 2A rights.

Of course, all money is fungible, and I realize that most of that money ends up in paying for Wayne's next suit. Which is why the swear box gets some cash too.

What are the benefits of joining? Does it save you money on anything?
Send money to 2nd amendment foundation, NSSF and GOA. These are the guys doing the heavy lifting in the courts protecting your constitutional rights.
NRA turned into a slush fund for Wayne and his buddies. And a legal defense fund ford for their sorry asses.
Once they clean house, they will start getting money again. Maybe.

Don’t do it.
Might as well donate to Mitch McConnell’s lake house fund.
If you let your membership lapse you
Might as well change your name and move to another country because the begging letters will drive you insane.

It’s basically another tax for the stupid if you ask me.
It used to be a good organization but once LaPierre took over it became a giant personal go fund me for him and I’m sure the deep state sunk their talons in him.

Back
Top Bottom