• UPGRADE DAY 2 - Lots of stuff fixed overnight. Please report any issues here. Thanks!

Is it time to start organizing more militias?

SirBannedAlot

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
147   0
Reaction score
Agreed. I'd rather have the things people will want to give me gold for later. Why would I buy gold at today's prices when I can buy wheat for a fraction of the cost and sell it by the loaf of bread for gold pieces later? Just doesn't make sense to me. How much gold would you give me if you were starving? I'd pay a lot.

Exactly. Gold will have value for AFTER the turmoil passes... but what if it doesn't? Lets say that there is a massive solar flare that wipes out our satellites, communications and power grid. It would take YEARS to restore that, and that's after things calmed down.

In that time, what value is gold?

Gold has had importance in history, but in today's world, does the average person still value it, or care about it? Does it have the same commercial value that it once had in antiquity? I don't believe so.

I am not saying that it has no value, but I think that in 2021 if the S really hit the fan, that gold wouldn't be in the top 10 of valuable commodities...

Guns
Ammo
Food
Clean water
fuel
clothing
shelter
medical supplies
transportation
batteries

I feel like the average scared, starving and endangered person is gonna care way more about those things, than they will about jewelry and trinkets...

SirBannedAlot

Default rank 5000+ posts
147   0
Reaction score
I think that in the modern world, there is a perception that certain things will "win the day"... But will they?

A home generator backup system is perfect for the power getting knocked out for a day or two in a storm. Great idea, awesome peace of mind...

What if that scenario is extended to 90 days? What happens when after a week, stores are picked bare, everyone's perishables have spoiled and their kids are starving?

Your house is the one house on the block with the lights on and the sound of the generator going... What do you think will happen when parents, desperate to provide for their families, see your lights on a mile away, and conclude that you probably have food?

I know, some folks will claim that they have a sniper's nest on their room and they will lay waste to all their neighbors that are just trying to feed their kids... but I am not really buying that... In the end, there are far more of them than there are of you... Sheer numbers will win out in most cases...

My point is that what people think is a solid plan, or a silver bullet, often goes out the window when reality sets in... like the generator... good in some instances, but it might be what broadcasts that you have the food, and puts a giant bullseye on your back. Might as well fire up the Bat Signal and tell your town where the only working fridge is in town... lol

Others think they will bugout and go to a national forest and live off the land. Has anyone actually tried that? Do you think that you are the only one to come up with that genius plan? When the woods are suddenly full of people all trying to do the same thing, many without any real experience.. you think all the animals are gonna stick around for long?

Nope.

The ones that will be most prepared, are likely to be the ones that we look down on today. The folks that are dirt poor, don't have internet and live in a crappy shack in the middle of nowhere. They are the ones that have the least to lose, and society ending would impact them the least, because they are the ones that today are least invested in society, or technology, etc... Some of them might not even notice. LOL

Dodge man

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
I think that in the modern world, there is a perception that certain things will "win the day"... But will they?

A home generator backup system is perfect for the power getting knocked out for a day or two in a storm. Great idea, awesome peace of mind...

What if that scenario is extended to 90 days? What happens when after a week, stores are picked bare, everyone's perishables have spoiled and their kids are starving?

Your house is the one house on the block with the lights on and the sound of the generator going... What do you think will happen when parents, desperate to provide for their families, see your lights on a mile away, and conclude that you probably have food?

I know, some folks will claim that they have a sniper's nest on their room and they will lay waste to all their neighbors that are just trying to feed their kids... but I am not really buying that... In the end, there are far more of them than there are of you... Sheer numbers will win out in most cases...

My point is that what people think is a solid plan, or a silver bullet, often goes out the window when reality sets in... like the generator... good in some instances, but it might be what broadcasts that you have the food, and puts a giant bullseye on your back. Might as well fire up the Bat Signal and tell your town where the only working fridge is in town... lol

Others think they will bugout and go to a national forest and live off the land. Has anyone actually tried that? Do you think that you are the only one to come up with that genius plan? When the woods are suddenly full of people all trying to do the same thing, many without any real experience.. you think all the animals are gonna stick around for long?

Nope.

The ones that will be most prepared, are likely to be the ones that we look down on today. The folks that are dirt poor, don't have internet and live in a crappy shack in the middle of nowhere. They are the ones that have the least to lose, and society ending would impact them the least, because they are the ones that today are least invested in society, or technology, etc... Some of them might not even notice. LOL
Your right about strength in numbers, there has been many cases of Tier 1 units being pinned down Over seas and killed by terrorist cause they was out numbered those men had years of special training and equipment...

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
49   0
Reaction score
I think gold will always have value as a currency, even if it has no practical value (aside from making jewelry and pretty trinkets, which isn't very practical). People who were once civilized will remain civilized enough to know that gold and silver, in hand, is "money" and can be used, and will be accepted, to facilitate trades and deals.

But I suppose some other people will deny that civilization will ever come back, and thus they don't want to trade or sell for anything they can't actually USE for an immediate tangible benefit.
For those people, offer them duct tape and unopened tubes of super glue.

S-19755_1.jpg

51YIPIXDCRL._AC_SS350_.jpg

CTS Tactical

Eagle Icon Lifetime Supporter
Dealer
282   0
Reaction score
A freezer will stay frozen for several days without power. You have to be strategical about it. Fire up the generator every couple of days for an hour or so to keep food frozen and do it during the wee hours like 2-3am. Don't run the generator all the time with lights, AC and all going. That would be a dead give away. Also, fuel will be at a premium so you don't want to waste it on something frivolous like lights. Essentials only.

james357

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
251   0
Reaction score
I just don't see it working here... If society actually collapsed, I wouldn't give a crap about gold... I know the people selling gold want us to believe that... And it might be valuable to some people, because they hedge their bets that society will return, and it will put them in a good position having all that gold...
Gold is not going to feed you or quench your thirst. There's an example of a man on top of a roof after Katrina hit. A boat comes by with 5 gallons of clean water and a basket of food for enough for 3 days. The man on the roof has 10 oz of gold. The man with the water and the food also has weapons and he tells the guy I will give you 5 gallons of water and 3 days of food for 2 oz of your gold. So gold has the value of what's available at the time and what you need.
In 2010 or 2009 I don't remember I my company gave me a year severance package. I was able to buy silver at spot or even better. I advertise on Craigslist and a friend of mine said put in their paying cash 8 x face. I was buying three to $4,000 worth of silver at a time and turning around and selling it when it would go to 10 times face or twelve times face and eventually $14.75 * face. Back then people would sell silver at spot and you can sell it for a little bit under spot after it went up. Now people want 10% over spot or better. Going to coin shows was very profitable. At the time you could sell United States silver coins and not have to pay any tax in 32 states. Now people don't want to even sell silver unless they are making 10% or better over spot. I remember at trade shows at the coin shows dealers with sell silver and spot because they said it was easier been sending it to a melter and having to pay shipping. The only way to make money and silver and gold wish to make 3 to 4% per week turning your money. Someone told me they were 3% not that much but that's if you're thinking 3% per year.
3% per week and 52 weeks in a year is major money.
I was calling on a buyer for a grocery distributor and I presented him a promotion that was going to make them 8%. He said the owner of the company doesn't make much money if he's making 8%. He said he only makes 4% to 6%. I said I know the owner of the company and he drives a Mercedes he also has a beautiful house and he has more than 1.
So you're not thinking of a big picture because you asking for a raise and he says look I'm only making 6% off of selling products here at my Distribution Company and it's hard to make more than 6% when you're selling groceries. But he's making 6% per week on his money.
How much money does he turn per week 3 million dollars question more 6% of 3 million dollars is 180000. Multiply that times 52 or how many ever turned you guys get maybe 45 turns or 50. That's how he can pay 55 employees and he has 12 trucks any praise you a decent salary. So when he tells you he make 6%. He's telling you the truth but you have to look at the big picture. The buyer looked at me and said wow I didn't think of it that way. So people selling silver and gold or turning every week 3 to 5% profit and they're telling you by gold and buy silver what they're not telling you is there the one making money on the constant turns. Gold and silver has no value when Society collapses. Maybe in the long run. But in the short run you can't live more than a week without water or a month without food. And you can't live very long if you can't protect your money, your food or your water. Where do you think's going to happen to billionaires when their bodyguardz figure out they can kill them and take what they're guarding?

Top Bottom