• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is anyone on here experiencing shortages at your local grocery stores? Where are you located?

If I go to the grocery store with a list of 20 items, I will hit the check out counter with 18 of the 20 items and 6 more that were not on the list - but there when I saw them!

I remember 2020, March, walking around stores and taking photographs of the "nearly" empty sections. I was planning to write an industry article on efficient assortment and point out some examples of dead weight in offerings.

I noticed that Kroger was nearly out of all varieties of rice, any style, type, prep method, etc. However, they did have all the black rice you wanted. I mean not one single package was sold while the rest of the section was empty (OOS-Out-of-Stock).

So, I thought it interesting to record those items in categories where consumers wiped the inventories out due to an Armageddon, end of the world, planet killing virus. Imagine your embarrassment if you were the brand manager for Hinadoe Black Rice or 1,000 Lakes Brand Organic Rice and your products are passed by even though starvation was assured by the media due to supply chain interruptions?
Black Rice.jpg

Here on the ODT, the prepper seers have telegraphed messages for the past 6 to 12 months to stock up on all essentials, pharmaceuticals, meats, frozen veggies, bread-making supplies, TP and paper products, laundry supplies, dry and canned pet foods, even garden seeds, and all products used in your household. I took their advice and over the course of six to eight months have built up some supply to carry the family over during shortages.

I was just about to post a thread with these pics from the biggest Kroger in middle GA on Hwy 96 in Houston Co. These little bbn lie stickers are on shelves everywhere you look.

Attachments

• 20220116_142445.jpg
    20220116_142445.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220116_142500.jpg
    20220116_142500.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 9
Publix here in Alpharetta was completely out of chicken and other things as well. Isnt Gainesville Ga. the chicken capital?
There was no shortage of brand new Georgians. I can tell because they look at me funny lol
Newnan Publix was completely out of chicken today

I manage an independent store. We have seen shortages, but for the most part we have been able to maintain a good variety. I've had a lot of customers in the last year and a half tell me that our small store is better stocked than Walmart or Ingles.

Some of the shortages haven't been due to companies not having the product, it has been labor or supply shortages. We were unable to get Capri sun's for the longest, it wasn't a shortage on the drink but rather they could not get the straws or foil packs.

We will see some major fallout down the road I'm afraid. Mainstream brands that are trying to hold on will be too affected long term.
what do you mean by "major fallout" what have you heard or are you just making a prediction?

what do you mean by "major fallout" what have you heard or are you just making a prediction?
By major fallout I mean you will one day see some brands cease to exist. Not anyone that I've heard of (major brands) closing the doors yet, but some product lines being cut out or streamlined because of lack of supplies or labor.

Some brands will do well due to their ability to keep product on shelves and capitalize on the fact that more people are buying groceries at the present time.

I do know some brands that have struggled mightily due covid and it has been reflected in price increases across the board.

One thing I think will change down the road (total side note) is the way fast food companies develop new locations. I know of several that dinning rooms are still not open but the drive thru is. Some due directly to covid, some indirectly because of labor issues. That being said I believe many of these companies will look to adapt and stop developing new locations with wasted square footage and just be drive thru only.

Long story short, when it comes to major brands, it is just a personal prediction due to this not being long term sustainable. Some companies have softened the blow by using government grants, but who really knows what the long term will be?

Back
Top Bottom