• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

is anybody into gold prospecting

For the older guys;

I had a sluice box about 4 feet long it made things much easier.
You can just dig and fill a 5 gallon bucket then walk back to the sluice, sit down and put a little in at a time.

There was lot's of kneeling and squatting down. the sluice box ended most of that.

I have a small maybe 30" sluice that I made that reduces the back breaking bending of panning. I just have to talk my daughter into babysitting it and keeping screen clear.

I made a sort of Miller table and cleaned up all bags of black sand. Not much gold there in the bottle so I need to do something different!

keene mm.JPG

I run this Keene A51 box. I took out the carpet and riffles and installed the Keene miracle mat.
I like this set up, it is easy to backpack and can run with very little water. We classify to minus 1/4" and clean up is a breeze, nothing to take apart, just wash it down in a bucket and you are done.

For the older guys;

I had a sluice box about 4 feet long it made things much easier.
You can just dig and fill a 5 gallon bucket then walk back to the sluice, sit down and put a little in at a time.

There was lot's of kneeling and squatting down. the sluice box ended most of that.
With the way my back is I need to get one, panning just hurts now everytime I do it.

With the way my back is I need to get one, panning just hurts now everytime I do it.
I am sure you have seen the "gold fever" classifying buckets (expensive). I made a 3 gal bucket into a classifier just by drilling holes in the bottom. I went with a smaller bucket so that it would fit easily into a 5 gal bucket without a lot of resistance. You want to talk about a back saver, this is it. This set up saves a lot of the bending over and I am 6'1. The handle on the smaller bucket is an easy reach for my arm length. Before I could classify about 5 buckets and that be about the end of my day, now I do about seven barely breaking a sweat.
In gold mining, at the end of the day, it is all about classifying and washing material. All the huge wash plants, trommels, high bankers and dredges do it, some are made for more production than others.

Back
Top Bottom