• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a tax stamp needed for this?

View attachment 2961695
Is a tax stamp needed for this? Or is it legal as it sits?

15” sawed off shotgun but the stock has been chopped and made into a pistol grip.

I tried looking on the internet but can’t really find much. Any links appreciated.

Picture is just a similar looking gun and not the one in question.
as others have said,separate it. when you go and pick it up( i know its not in your possession),get the barrels. add to them. on a single shot that was short i added a tec 9 flash can. i had to hollow it our and weld it to the barrel,but the it was over the 18" and i then put a receiver on it.
see if you can find something cool looking, or find two of these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-ga-6-Sc...ed-Remington-to-Remington-Choke-/114232521804
weld them in and cut them down.min 18" barrel and 26" oal....
Here’s a picture
3ED1BB05-57C8-4125-8AD5-63950EA019D0.jpeg

Black powder MUZZLE LOADER, you mean.
Guns made for black powder cartridges
aren't exempt, unless they were actually made before 1898,
and not a reproduction or copy of such an old design.

I had no idea there was such a thing. Wow. I really don’t know much about BP except it doesn’t interest me.
Well **** I just assumed that all BP guns for the purpose of this discussion were muzzleloaders. You learn something new everyday.

Okay so less than 18" shotgun barrels alone don't violate NFA? I guess that makes sense. So in theory if in some odd scenario I lost every part of my Shockwave except the 14" barrel that's not a legal problem?

The potential legal problem is when you have an unregistered "shotgun"* receiver in your control that could accept that short barrel which is also in your control. You more commonly see this with AR platformed rifles. You can buy <16" barrelled uppers online day-in and day-out. But you're exposing yourself to legal liability by possessing them if you only have an AR lower that isn't registered on a NFA form. As long as you have NO AR receivers, or at least 1 Registered Receiver, no problem.

That's why several people have recommended separating the barrel & receiver.

Option 1 would be to file a Form 1 to register the receiver as a SBS, wait for approval, and once received, assemble the SBS again.

Option 2 would be to have the barrel permanently modified to an unrestricted length using chokes, flash hiders, or heat shields or whatever muzzle attachment floats the boat.

*"Shotgun" defined as a shoulder fired, smooth bore, firearm.

The barrel length isn't the only thing to worry about.
OAL matters, too.
Sub-26" means NFA restrictions and $200 taxation.
Now, a break open shotgun's action is INHERENTLY short, much shorter than a pump action or semi auto.
So, if you make the barrels 18.2" long, how long would your pistol grip or raptor type grip have to be on the back end to create 26 inches overall length?

Back
Top Bottom