• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a tax stamp needed for this?

I am no lawyer, but if the barrel is not with the receiver/stock, as in 2 separate locations not owned or inhabited by you, I doubt that it is illegal. i don't think it is illegal to have a barrel that is short unless you have the receiver. I would think you could measure it complete, measure the barrel, separate them (give part to a friend or relative, and apply for a tax stamp for a sbs. Contact a class 3 ffl and ask before you destroy it. But I would separate it immediately after doing the measurements.

yes sir, what bout you? Is that picture of you in your avatar?
Pic of me
20200207_195437.jpg

That's friggin genius right there. But 2 things: wouldn't they need to be pinned and welded like an AR flash hider? Cause I thought just welded didn't satisfy the ATF . Secondly what gunsmith would accept this kind of job and not rat you out?
Yes, you would pin and weld them, hence permanently attached.

You're not sending a firearm to the gunsmith, just barrels which are completely unregulated anyway. Wouldn't even need a licensed gunsmith any machinist could do it.

Some of the info here is incorrect, the chokes do not have to be pin and welded and could be just 360 welded as that is also an approved method. If the barrels are separate from the gun and in a different location he is not breaking any laws. He very well could separate and file a form 1 and would be just fine and reassemble when approved. The barrels really don't even need to be threaded for the choke and just weld it on. PM me if you wanna do something like that.

Back
Top Bottom