• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a lower a pistol?

gregar

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
39   0
Reaction score
Ok, need help here. Not educated opinions. real experience preferred.

Can an ar 15 lower be purchased out of state? One that is specificaly not labelled as a Pistol?
Anyone done or not done this?
Vendor in OH would not sael me an ar lower. Said it could be a pistol! My BATFE colleagues disagree.
Your experiences??
thansk ODT trust.

I've purchased 2 lowers out of state. But it must be shipped to an FFL in your state.
  1. 18 U.S.C § 922(b)(3) makes it a crime for a dealer to sell any firearm, other than a rifle or shotgun, to a non-resident.
  2. Frames and receivers are neither handguns nor long guns.
  3. Therefore, frames and receivers do not fall withing the exception for rifles and shotguns and cannot be sold to non-residents.

The law is applied to an AR lower the same as a pistol because of the fact it can be built as a rifle or pistol. No you cannot purchase it out of state without having it shipped to an FFL in your state of residence.
Another silly catch 22 in the law. You can go to another state and buy a complete AR15 but you cannot buy just the receiver.
Sort of along the same lines, I can sell a complete AR to an 18 year old but not a lower by itself.

\\

You might clarify for those that don't get caught up in the details, that is because you are a dealer.

john Q. Citizen can sell that item to an 18 year old.
Right. Just like a private seller can sell a handgun to an 18 year old but many seem to believe otherwise.

The law is applied to an AR lower the same as a pistol because of the fact it can be built as a rifle or pistol. No you cannot purchase it out of state without having it shipped to an FFL in your state of residence.
Another silly catch 22 in the law. You can go to another state and buy a complete AR15 but you cannot buy just the receiver.
Sort of along the same lines, I can sell a complete AR to an 18 year old but not a lower by itself.
Ah. I missed that detail when I was first looking at the laws (not that it would have been relevant to me then).
That explains why I can put a 1911 frame on a CCU and have a rifle, with all accessories (stock, and I assume vert grip).

A virgin AR lower is legally considered a "firearm" (as opposed to a pistol, rifle, shotgun, or AOW). Legally, for the most part, it's treated like a pistol (have to be 21 to purchase it, must purchase it from someone in the same state or go through an FFL).

Back
Top Bottom