• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a full auto MP5 useful for home defense?

I did not explain myself well yesterday.

In a time of stress most of us would probably run a full auto Mp5 dry once the shooting started.

Some times after action reports are like this for us average joes:

"How many times did you discharge your weapon at the intruder ?"

"Two or three times ?"

~Reality is the gun taken in as evidence has had every round discharged.

Even some police officers have went through this exact scenario.

Can you imagine a F/A Mp5?

Now we live in times that 3gun & John Wick are considered awesome and a tactical mindset is more widespread.
BUT..you don't want the attention of having used a F/A Mp5 as a self-defense weapon.
I can see so many ways this could come back to haunt you.

( It would really suck to have your $30k F/A taken into "holding" as evidence.)

Keep it simple..unless it is the Apocalypse..
Be the Gray Man..blend in to the noise in the background of the world..

Beware the man in a Bermuda shorts, camo Crocs, Blue Force Gear speed rig under his Hawaiian shirt.

If you throw a in mag coupler/tape them together whatever then if you run out of ammo, you can go semi etc...

Also at that point you would probably be famous for conducting a mag change with a full auto mp5 in a home defense scenario.

My 2 cents.
Like any home defense weapon, it should be one you are very comfortable with and competently training with... often. You wouldn’t empty a mag in a burst, or be scattered in your grouping if you trained with it.
9mm or .223 - to me- are awful HD weapons as the rd is so fast that you can shoot through bad people and several walls if you miss, possibly causing collateral injuries to others in the house / or apartment. Now if you don’t have kids or family in other rooms... then rock on!

Now the real issue is you normally have $35k Class III guns in a safe, so would that even be your ‘get it quick’ HD weapon if you could? I am too cheap to think it might get stolen

FA is a handicap. they have to make special shoots with all sorts of rules for the FA guys because semi is faster.

I think an mp5 semi or not is at a disadvantage to a regular AK

Back
Top Bottom