• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is 7.62 x39 and good bug out weapon round and if so, which weapon for a bug out bag

jax approves.gif

Get a quality AK pistol and SBR it (or brace it if thats your thing)

For cheap Ruger makes a Ranch Rifle in x39 that takes Mini 30 mags

To me a good bugout round is one which:

- Can achieve the performance for the scenarios you are trying to protect from
- Is likely to be available in an emergency situation
- Ideally can be reloaded in event of emergency

If your scenario is just "escape the virus, hide out in the cabin for a few months" then chances are you'll want some game to feed yourself and some protection from two legged predators. For that scenario I think 7.62x39 is a solid choice. In GA you can quite readily take deer and smaller game with it and it's obviously got a long and storied track record against predators of the two legged variety. In an AK or SKS it's also in a platform that can go extended periods of time in harsh conditions and still function reliably.

For me personally I take into consideration if things REALLY melt down chances are bullets and even loading components may become extremely scarce. For that need I like 45 Colt as I can cast bullets, use black powder if I need to, can make the black powder, can make primers if I need to, and I have a pistol and a lever carbine. Works fine for deer albeit it within modest distance, maybe 150 yards. That way I have an option that doesn't rely on stores.

I also like 22LR just because of portability but not so great on larger game.

AK with lots of spare mags and 762.39.... Have the AK in standard config and in underfolder... Sold all my M-92's

And the 762 has better penetration than the 556

Back
Top Bottom