• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is 10mm worth getting into?

So many ammo options out there. I was carrying a 44mag for back up while hunting but will be carrying 10mm (when I get it) from now on , I’m still researching the double stacks so I’m not sure what I’ll end up with. And I’d occasionally carry depending on where I’m going. I already mentioned it I think? I’m into carrying the same rd and mags for carbine and handgun (not deer hunting but maybe?)so my options are getting slim. As far as “how big of game would I shoot?” Depends on if I’ve emptied my rifle. If by chance I ever see a grizzly and only have a 10mm hand gun.... I’ll be wishing I had a 460 while dumping 30 or more rds of 10mm into the big fella haha

Where I think a 10 mm really shines is in a defensive pistol caliber carbine or potentially a sporting carbine like a brush gun.

A 10mm SMG or "camp gun" has been kicked around as an urban LEO weapon, but no one has got one off the ground. It would have the anti-personnel, door breaching, vehicle penetrating characteristics other semi-auto pistol rounds lack, without the over penetration of a rifle round.

A 10mm SMG or "camp gun" has been kicked around as an urban LEO weapon, but no one has got one off the ground. It would have the anti-personnel, door breaching, vehicle penetrating characteristics other semi-auto pistol rounds lack, without the over penetration of a rifle round.
A pack of coyotes 30yds off right before sunset would be optimal as well. IMHO haha . Nobody should take me wrong... I ain't trying to push 10mm on nobody; I'm just fascinated with it myself.

Picked it up today, along with two 50 round boxes of 180gr Magtech FMJ. Also found a couple boxes of Underwood 200gr JHP online and ordered those. The Magtech claims 605ft/lbs, so not higher power stuff, but no slouch either...

Quick video overview of the gun...

Get a 10mm. This factory full power ammo out of my Glock 40 MOS chronos within 15 fps of advertised velocity. 728 ft lbs will kill about anything that still walks in North America if you do your part.

When you also consider ammo capacity its hard to beat the full blown 10mm for defense or hunting.

Plinking... shoot the factory loads that are similar to 40sw. Still available on shelves (that carried it before) and still running about $18 a box.

Enjoy the new purchase!

16003679562975522582928402344957.jpg

I think this was the right move... Looking at the usual bulk ammo sites, the 9mm is in a lot of cases more than the 10mm. Just bought 1,000 rounds of Blazer 10mm with a new Plano ammo can, for around $550 shipped with tax. Not exactly precovid prices, but not bad these days I guess.

The LGS sells it much cheaper, but they limit you you to 2 boxes... But at $20 with tax at the LGS... times 20 boxes, that's $400... So yeah, buying online is 20% more, but I think that buying 9mm would cost me at least that much...

Back
Top Bottom