• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is 10mm worth getting into?

So if you get the proper 10mm loading... I don't mean some home brewed reload, but something commercially available that won't grenade your gun... How big of game can you realistically take with a 4.5" semiauto?

Ok, I am sold. Just bought it on their website and will go pick it up as my schedule allows. Sounds like a fun gun, and 15+1 of 10mm out of a polymer gun sounds like some serious firepower for dangerous critters in the woods, or the 2 legged type that seems to be all too common these days.

The Sig V-Crown and that other brand I mentioned, seemed to offer fairly stout loads... and I am sure that companies like Buffalo Bore put out some rounds with serious wallup.

I also saw MAC firing .40 out of his 10mm? He didn't swap the barrel or anything, just tossed a mag of .40S+W into his Smith 5906 10mm and mag dumped it and it functioned fine. Is that really recommended? haha
I know a Glock 20 will function fine shooting .40. No swaps of any kind. Recommended.... probably not, but will definitely work.

True... to a point. A 22LR will certainly kill someone dead, just not in time to do you any good.

There's a balance between accurate placement and terminal ballistics that's different for everyone. If the most you can handle is 22LR, then absolute accuracy and shot placement for a self-defense stop is critical.

Better terminal ballistics gives you more leeway on how accurate your shot placement has to be, and accuracy suffers badly in high-stress situations like self-defense.

Since you're already starting out from behind on accuracy, having a round that doesn't further degrade it by being too hard for you to control it is critical as well.

I think it was Mas Ayoob who said it best... "Bring enough gun, but just enough gun".
That’s a very wise quote indeed

So if you get the proper 10mm loading... I don't mean some home brewed reload, but something commercially available that won't grenade your gun... How big of game can you realistically take with a 4.5" semiauto?
Whitetail and hog, it will work on most black bear, I would want something more If I were between a mama black bear and her clubs, as strong as a 10 10mm is it isn't enough gun for Grizzly elk, moose, mule deer. The argument has been made that because of ammo capacity it is better than a 44 mag in Bear Country. That is BS, the average bear can cover 25 yards in a second and a half, I don't know anybody that can squeeze off 6 shots of 10 mm in a second and 1/2. There are a few Alaskan guides packing the10 mm but most still use the 44 or 454. As much as i like the 41 mag it isnt a Grizzly firearms, and the 10 approaches the low in weak 41 magnum loads.

Whitetail and hog, it will work on most black bear, I would want something more If I were between a mama black bear and her clubs, as strong as a 10 10mm is it isn't enough gun for Grizzly elk, moose, mule deer. The argument has been made that because of ammo capacity it is better than a 44 mag in Bear Country. That is BS, the average bear can cover 25 yards in a second and a half, I don't know anybody that can squeeze off 6 shots of 10 mm in a second and 1/2. There are a few Alaskan guides packing the10 mm but most still use the 44 or 454. As much as i like the 41 mag it isnt a Grizzly firearms, and the 10 approaches the low in weak 41 magnum loads.

I think 10 mm is a good choice for a big strong man with big hands using a full-size pistol as a duty gun, openly carried, or in a home defense role.
I personally would rather have a .40 or .45 or 357 SiG in a medium sized gun for carry. The recoil of a 10 mm round in a gun that's in my ideal size and shape for carry on my body would be a little too snappy; my shots would probably be a little slower and my groups noticeably wider.

Where I think a 10 mm really shines is in a defensive pistol caliber carbine or potentially a sporting carbine like a brush gun.
Something for hunting deer and hogs in the woods where you expect a shot no longer than 75 yards. A utility gun to defend your cabin when you go up to the mountains for the weekend and there might be aggressive bears or wolves or something.

I really dig the 10mm cartridge. I'm running a Kimber Super Jagare as a hunting pistol/camp gun. I wouldn't make a 10mm pistol my daily carry gun by any means, though the recoil isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It's a great round and I've been nothing but impressed with how well it shoots!

I really dig the 10mm cartridge...
the recoil isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
It's a great round and I've been nothing but impressed with how well it shoots!

We need to keep in mind that not all factory 10 mm Auto ammo is loaded to full SAAMI power levels.

QUOTE:
"10mm factory ammunition can disappoint. What do I mean by that? Ask any 10mm aficionado, and they will tell you that factory 10mm ammo is loaded lightly. The reason for this has little to do with liability, but the fact that data used with the FBI’s lighter-loaded 10mm ammunition is used rather than the actual Norma specs that [Col. Jeff ] Cooper envisioned. This is especially true, in my experience, with practice ammunition whose velocity is hardly different from 40 S&W."

ARTICLE:
https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/10mm-auto-ammunition-10-things/#axzz6YJCeV9RW

Back
Top Bottom