• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is 10mm worth getting into?

It's still a handgun caliber. Stopping power doesn't really exist. 10mm isn't the nuclear explosion that some fanbois want to believe. Then you get into the fact that most 10mm is just 40+p underloaded rounds.

If you want another caliber, then by all means. Otherwise, it's meh

I would agree that capacity is the issue far more than the ballistic superiority. I love and shoot both rounds.

That's what I was getting at. Ballistics, could tip one way or the other depending on the particular round, but at the end of the day, a hot .357 or a hot 10mm is gonna do what you need it to.

I have a GP100, and some other wheel guns that I love shooting... But to offer "similar" power but 2.5x the capacity, is a hard deal to pass up.

It's still a handgun caliber. Stopping power doesn't really exist. 10mm isn't the nuclear explosion that some fanbois want to believe. Then you get into the fact that most 10mm is just 40+p underloaded rounds.

If you want another caliber, then by all means. Otherwise, it's meh

What he said. All the handgun calibers 9mm and above, with equal quality ammo perform about the same for self defense against humans. You can argue there's some difference if you have time on your hands. But you cannot effectively argue that the difference is significant. Bears/hogs? Yeah, probably-- but only because some calibers let you use heavy deep-penetrating flat-nose bullets. And some don't. Bigger is better in that case, so 10mm and .45 Super/.460 Rowland have some advantage there.

What he said. All the handgun calibers 9mm and above, with equal quality ammo perform about the same for self defense against humans. You can argue there's some difference if you have time on your hands. But you cannot effectively argue that the difference is significant. Bears/hogs? Yeah, probably-- but only because some calibers let you use heavy deep-penetrating flat-nose bullets. And some don't. Bigger is better in that case, so 10mm and .45 Super/.460 Rowland have some advantage there.

Makes sense. It just sounded like an interesting gun/caliber to me. Seemed like it could be fairly versatile.

To me it seemed like a "tweener" round... high capacity 9mm might be ideal to conceal and for self defense...but not so good against a hog, bear, dear or whatever... A hot .357 Mag might be better for 4 legged critters, but a 6" .357 is harder to carry and conceal and has limited capacity, should you be unfortunate enough to take a wrong turn and end up in a "mostly peaceful protest" that is destroying that part of town...

In steps the 10mm that offers the capacity of the 9mm, but packs the punch of the hot loaded .357 Mag... Or at least, that was my reasoning...

Or maybe I am just trying to justify a new toy to play with. lol

Makes sense. It just sounded like an interesting gun/caliber to me. Seemed like it could be fairly versatile.

To me it seemed like a "tweener" round... high capacity 9mm might be ideal to conceal and for self defense...but not so good against a hog, bear, dear or whatever... A hot .357 Mag might be better for 4 legged critters, but a 6" .357 is harder to carry and conceal and has limited capacity, should you be unfortunate enough to take a wrong turn and end up in a "mostly peaceful protest" that is destroying that part of town...

In steps the 10mm that offers the capacity of the 9mm, but packs the punch of the hot loaded .357 Mag... Or at least, that was my reasoning...

Or maybe I am just trying to justify a new toy to play with. lol
We all try to justify new toys. Just hard for me to do it with semi auto handgun caliber choices.

But there is the new BRNO....

Luckily, the current price tag keeps me away

They dumped it because women couldn’t shoot the 10mm.

LOL... neither could the men.

They kept reducing the loads to try and improve the qualification pass rates until they switched to 40 in disgust.

That being said, the 10 is a nice round. You can get barnstormers like Underwood for serious stuff, but still find 40-level plinking loads for reasonable prices (or you could). It works equally well in a 1911, a revolver or a striker fired polymer gun.

Heck, I even bought one of the HiPoint carbines in 10mm, and with the HighTower Armory chassis that thing is a blast to shoot.

It's probably one of the most interesting, versatile and history-laden rounds out there today.

The concern should not be the caliber but shot placement, either is adequate for the intended purpose of man or beast up to Black Bear. Normally a six-shot revolver at the most with an additional speedloader would get you through most all situations. Now if you get caught up in a riot and get attacked even 18 rounds may not be enough...

Shoot placement is more critical than energy ballistics.
That’s why I prefer the 9mm I can put more rounds where
I want and that’s what really matters.

I don't think that anyone here is suggesting that we forego accuracy or practice in exchange for more power. I would assume that any of us that carry and hunt or whatever, would ensure that we are proficient in whatever weapon we plan to use...

True... to a point. A 22LR will certainly kill someone dead, just not in time to do you any good.

There's a balance between accurate placement and terminal ballistics that's different for everyone. If the most you can handle is 22LR, then absolute accuracy and shot placement for a self-defense stop is critical.

Better terminal ballistics gives you more leeway on how accurate your shot placement has to be, and accuracy suffers badly in high-stress situations like self-defense.

Since you're already starting out from behind on accuracy, having a round that doesn't further degrade it by being too hard for you to control it is critical as well.

I think it was Mas Ayoob who said it best... "Bring enough gun, but just enough gun".

Back
Top Bottom