• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Iron Mike is back.

This is how I will always remember Mikey
mar2016uppercut.jpg

I wouldnt fight him if he was 90yo and in a wheelchair....but i am not a pro fighter.
Professional boxers have one good run like a football player. If they go away and try to comeback 20yrs later, yeah they may look good, they may be fast, they may even win a few but when you get to championship level you will get your ass handed to you. Very few have ever made a successful run at it. Lots have tried. Lots have looked good.
i just dont think he can do it after all these years out of it. Mike Tyson was a good knock out king. He was a thug and streetfighter. But he could not box. When he got in with someone that trained for him like Holyfield did, he couldnt knock him out like most of the others. He got mad when Holyfield “boxed” him and started to beat him.
I love him to death, he is a good fighter but crappy boxer.
Yeah I can agree with that. I was just saying he doesn't look all that slow and soft to me, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to square up to him either!

Yeah but you notice those clips are only a few seconds? While you are correct, he's not your average bear, you can only cheat the clock so much (living it every day....)
Yep, that's true. He's only explosive for a few seconds. He was always better if he could finish the fight quick even in his heyday. He didn't like going long rounds back then and probably couldn't today. Regardless I doubt anybody wants to catch those hands or it's lights out.

Yep, that's true. He's only explosive for a few seconds. He was always better if he could finish the fight quick even in his heyday. He didn't like going long rounds back then and probably couldn't today. Regardless I doubt anybody wants to catch those hands or it's lights out.
I've recounted this before but WTH....
I'm sure this is on tape somewhere and I'm sure I have some of the specifics wrong, but the first time I ever saw him was late one night on "Friday night fights". I had come in from a date and turned on the TV. The announcers were going on and on about this young kid that was a terror. Won every fight in the first couple rounds by knock out. I think at the time he had never gone beyond 3 rounds. I think he was 19 at the time or younger. Anyway, I thought "OK, I'll stay up and watch". He comes out and the fight starts. The first round was a big nothing burger. I thought "Huh? What's the big deal with this guy?". Second round ditto. At the end of that round one of the announcers makes a comment that "He might be doing this on purpose to prove he can go further in a fight." Apparently he had been taking some static from pundits that he didn't have any stamina. Third round ditto. Fourth round starts,which was his longest at that time, and he comes charging across the ring and hits the guy in the face so hard he crumbles and his nose literally exploded. Blood was everywhere. I honestly thought he killed the guy. It was the only time I've ever seen anything on TV that actually caused 'fear'. I thought "That guy is not normal, and worse doesn't look controllable.".
The rest as they say, is history.

I've recounted this before but WTH....
I'm sure this is on tape somewhere and I'm sure I have some of the specifics wrong, but the first time I ever saw him was late one night on "Friday night fights". I had come in from a date and turned on the TV. The announcers were going on and on about this young kid that was a terror. Won every fight in the first couple rounds by knock out. I think at the time he had never gone beyond 3 rounds. I think he was 19 at the time or younger. Anyway, I thought "OK, I'll stay up and watch". He comes out and the fight starts. The first round was a big nothing burger. I thought "Huh? What's the big deal with this guy?". Second round ditto. At the end of that round one of the announcers makes a comment that "He might be doing this on purpose to prove he can go further in a fight." Apparently he had been taking some static from pundits that he didn't have any stamina. Third round ditto. Fourth round starts,which was his longest at that time, and he comes charging across the ring and hits the guy in the face so hard he crumbles and his nose literally exploded. Blood was everywhere. I honestly thought he killed the guy. It was the only time I've ever seen anything on TV that actually caused 'fear'. I thought "That guy is not normal, and worse doesn't look controllable.".
The rest as they say, is history.
Good GOD. I never remember seeing that, but damn that's brutal! I didn't start watching him until he was pretty popular and well known. I missed his start, although I've seen some of the old grainy videos on YouTube of his pre famous days. That fits his personality though. He loved(still loves) screwing with the press and people. He was always big on the psychological game. I remember reading once about how he preferred to come out to the ring with no hype music because the thought the silence would intimidate his opponents more. And his stare downs are epic.

Hell yeah! I bet he still got some left in him.
If Tyson fights anyone in the top 10 what will be left on him will be on the floor. He couldn't beat Club Fighters at the end of his career. He can look good for three or four minutes hitting a heavy bag he'll when I was 21 I'll look like a killer hitting the heavy bag. I was working out in my backyard and my neighbor started clapping when they saw me throw combinations. But you see that bag wasn't hitting back. Tyson is an energy fighter and those guys have short careers. The difference in George Foreman is George have plenty of power but he had defense and he learned how to relax and not expend all his energy in three or four rounds. George remain calm and he always stayed within himself. But the version of him in the seventies would have killed the George Foreman of the 90s.

If Tyson takes some others on in out-of-retirement showdowns, it might be fun and decent fights. I don’t see him trying to fight a 22 year old.

Back
Top Bottom