• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interview with civil war soldier in 1947

Some people age more gracefully then others, Julius Howell just happened to retain good memory in old age

Too bad he died 1 year later at only 102. My grandfathers uncle was over 100 and died by being hit by a car walking down the road

My grandpa lived to be 96 and was in france during WWI and his mind was pretty good up till near the end. If you lived through what some have first hand and shared stories over the years it is reasonable to me that you might have vivid memories to the end

I only listened to a few minutes of it, but he appeared to be either reading from a script or reciting a story he's told many many times before. The latter may be the case because I would think that ever since the 1910s he would've been asked to tell his stories about the Civil War over and over again, because The War was such a point of fascination with the next two generations. As most of his fellow vets died off in the early 1900's,
and he remained alive and healthy and not senile,
he would be the one that people would come to to hear these tales.

It's also possible that over a period of weeks or months he and his family committed his memories to writing in some type of manuscript, statement, or personal narrative. He could've done a little bit of writing each day, each week, over a long period of time. Every time he thought of something new, or finally remembered the name of that person or that place that he had forgotten in last week's story, he could add it in now.
What he read to us in 1947 was the final version.

P.S. One day people will look back on World War II veterans the same way that we in our generation think of Civil War veterans or World War I veterans.
So if any of you have WWII vets in your family, it might be a good idea to ask them to dictate a letter or several page narrative describing their experiences in the war, and their feelings about the political state of affairs before and during the war.
Maybe after the written version is created you could do a video of your elderly veteran relative speaking in his own voice to go over some of these things.
That might be a valuable thing for your kids and grandkids as part of your family's history.

Back
Top Bottom