• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting Blood Labs

Trying to get access to my healthcare portal but the doc called yesterday with lab results.

When I lived in Chicago ten years ago, I had terrible numbers, 240 total Cholesterol, LDL over 140, never could get my good cholesterol up, blood enzymes out of whack....I ate a "low fat diet" and exercised twice daily. Lost weight but my labs were consistently bad.

For about a year now, I've been eating very low carbs, but not the processed stuff with cauliflower crusts, almond wheat bread, etc. None of that stuff. I rarely each potatoes, rice or any type of bread. I use butter (about a 1/4 lb a week), full flavored salad dressings, and soft cheeses (goat, feta, bleu).....Basically everything I've been told my entire life to avoid.

I've lost 75 lbs since July 2018. Now my A1C is 5.3, bad cholesterol is 69, total is 123. So what gives? Is it really simply reducing carbs & exercise? The only thing I do different than when I lived in Chicago is diet. I just don't look at fat or calories much at all, just carbs.

Anyone else have this type of dietary change experience in your labs? Should I be skeptical of "common dogma" when it comes to dietary recommendations from the medical field? I went to the American Diabetic Association's website and took a look at their dietary recommendations. I'm convinced that they are trying to sell meds.
Yes diet has a lot to do with it, simply adding nuts like almonds help quite a bit.
You’re probably a little more active which makes a difference.

Trying to get access to my healthcare portal but the doc called yesterday with lab results.

When I lived in Chicago ten years ago, I had terrible numbers, 240 total Cholesterol, LDL over 140, never could get my good cholesterol up, blood enzymes out of whack....I ate a "low fat diet" and exercised twice daily. Lost weight but my labs were consistently bad.

For about a year now, I've been eating very low carbs, but not the processed stuff with cauliflower crusts, almond wheat bread, etc. None of that stuff. I rarely each potatoes, rice or any type of bread. I use butter (about a 1/4 lb a week), full flavored salad dressings, and soft cheeses (goat, feta, bleu).....Basically everything I've been told my entire life to avoid.

I've lost 75 lbs since July 2018. Now my A1C is 5.3, bad cholesterol is 69, total is 123. So what gives? Is it really simply reducing carbs & exercise? The only thing I do different than when I lived in Chicago is diet. I just don't look at fat or calories much at all, just carbs.

Anyone else have this type of dietary change experience in your labs? Should I be skeptical of "common dogma" when it comes to dietary recommendations from the medical field? I went to the American Diabetic Association's website and took a look at their dietary recommendations. I'm convinced that they are trying to sell meds.
Good for you!
I have been eating just like this since October. Was so looking forward to my physical Wednesday of this week to see the lab results. We canceled the physical, our physicians waiting room also serves an urgent care and we just didn’t want to risk it. This is encouraging to me. I have lost 45 pounds and feel great.

When you think about the high fat diet it's very holistic. From the beginning of time up to about 200 years ago the only things you could eat were veggies and meat with minimal grains. Grains were a very labor intensive thing to produce and once cooked spoiled quickly. Nothing was stored like it is today. Fat and salt were what was used to cure/preserve foods. Those people were healthy, obesity was low. If they had the medicines we had today they would of probably lived well into their 100's. Now we add tons of bad carbs with all kinds of chemicals. I think this is what is doing everyone in these days. Look at places like Mcdonalds, their food never molds and if you think they're the only ones dosing their foods your wrong.

Keep that tape on your mouth and you will loose even more weight,cards be damned.

Another benefit of the low carb lifestyle is that it reduces inflammation in the body.

It really is the way to go. But boy do I miss beer...

I've noticed that my knee doesn't ache like it used to. I just assumed it was because it wasn't supporting an extra 60 lbs.

Yes to all of the above. The wife and I are two years in to a low carb lifestyle. We eat a lot of meat, have cut out sugar, bread, pasta. We try for 30 grams of carbs a day or less, but we don't keep a strict count. We've had dramatic health improvements and good weight loss. Before this, the wife was falling apart from arthritis. She's about 98% better now. Our blood work has been good on this lifestyle: High HDL and low LDL. Everything else in normal range.

America's obesity epidemic started right about the time the FDA got into the "food pyramid" business in the 1970s.

Read this woman's stuff (and/or watch her public appearances Youtube): https://ninateicholz.com/ She's been busy pulling the curtain back on this issue.

I had a drastic change in labs when I went very low carb also and I completely cut out all alcohol. Triglycerides and fatty liver was what made me do it...triglycerides was over 1700.

In 6 months it went down to a little over 100 and my A1C went from 12 something to 6.3. But I've fallen off the wagon a bit and my last lab showed my A1C back around 8 and everything else was still normal range. But I've gained about 10 pounds back from the 17 I lost...I need to change my diet back up again. But I had salad basically 2x a day for about 12 weeks straight and I really can't do that again, it's rough...
Man. Salad twice a day? I'm not doing that. I do fish or chicken (4 oz.) and broccoli or cauliflower (riced, creamed, roasted), brussel sprouts, green beans, spinach, collards, turnip greens, etc., for dinner. Lots of variety if you like different foods and textures.

You know the food pyramid is all wrong. What we've been told all our lives is based on rather slim science and has been widely debunked.

If you are cutting out carbs you are also probably cutting out a lot of gluten, which could effect your labs.
Lately I've watched a number of "food" type exposes on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. The most fascinating of all of them was the show about big agri-business and how they've managed to get corn and corn sugars (among other fruit/veg sugars) into damned near every single processed food on the market.

Back
Top Bottom