• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interested in getting in to bowhunting. Any good tips for beginners?

TBird10

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
2   1
Reaction score
Took up an interest in bowhunting. have no real experience with it, but its not too late to try - right? just wanted to see what kind of advice was out there!

to specify, i am thinking about getting a compound bow.

You dont need a $1000 setup. I'd got to a bow shop and have your draw measurements taken. Then look for something used already setup for hunting, archery is quite different from rifle hunting when in the woods (sent and sound matters alot more as you are closer). Your shots will almost always be 25 yards or closer, mine have been anyways, good luck !

Join a archery club there are a lot of them around and before hunting season they have broadhead shoots all around the state. Actually you do not have to join but a lot of good advice in these clubs

Archery isn’t for me but find someone to coach you on the basics like stance. Alaskan made a good point, get your draw measured and then shop for used bows in that range. Bows don’t hold value like guns so when the season ends, you should be able to find some expensive sets ups for cheap.

Shannon at BWB is a great guy, I took some lessons from him and he can get you hunting in no time. You can also go see Billy at Gov Gun Club in Kennesaw, hes a level 4 archery coach and has helped me a ton. They also have technohunt which is a lot of fun. Both guys have great bows in stock and are competitive with their pricing!

Put a target in your backyard and shoot a dozen arrows every day. Only takes five minutes and much better than ignoring the bow all year and shooting 500 arrows the week before hunting season.

Back
Top Bottom