• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interest in Straight Razor & Wet Shaving Clinic (or table)??

I go to an old school barber shop and they do straight shaves. I don't get the beard shave but the back of neck shave is part of the haircut. They are good. They have never so much as nicked me.
Do they use traditional straight Razors or shavette razors with disposable blades? Not many using traditional razors now.
My barber uses a shavette. I asked him why he used that style and not a traditional razor. He basically told me that he's not very good with a strop. :lol:

My Dad was a barber and it was a right of passage when you got the back of your neck lathered up and shaved as a young man.I remember as a child sitting on a board in the barber chair.He would sometimes put shaving cream on you and shave it off with the back side of the blade.You also learn at a young age that strop was useful for more than honing that edge.It would tear that ass up.

My barber uses a shavette. I asked him why he used that style and not a traditional razor. He basically told me that he's not very good with a strop. :lol:
Lot of them really old strops are pretty cut up!

My Dad was a barber and it was a right of passage when you got the back of your neck lathered up and shaved as a young man.I remember as a child sitting on a board in the barber chair.He would sometimes put shaving cream on you and shave it off with the back side of the blade.You also learn at a young age that strop was useful for more than honing that edge.It would tear that ass up.
Heard those strops were multipurpose at the time.

That smooth, broken in leather probably didn't feel any better either when slapped that hyde lol.

Never had a straight shave but it’s interesting to me. Just in a lost art kinda way I guess.

Knew an old man that carried a straight razor at all times. I assume he shaved with it but also used it in place of a pocket knife. Always thought it was neat.

Never had a straight shave but it’s interesting to me. Just in a lost art kinda way I guess.

Knew an old man that carried a straight razor at all times. I assume he shaved with it but also used it in place of a pocket knife. Always thought it was neat.
Some have very heavy grinds and would work as knives. The real old ones were close to being true wedges. I wouldn't want to shave with an edge that been used to cut tougher materials though.
I remember someone telling me they had skinned deer with a straight razor.

I've seen ONE example of a razor with a mechanism for keeping the blade closed and that was on a razor forum. The pivot would need to be tight if I was going to carry it in my pocket.

Do they use traditional straight Razors or shavette razors with disposable blades? Not many using traditional razors now.

Traditional all the way. Everything about the place is old school Americana. That's one of the reasons I go there. Even the chairs are vintage.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone in there who was younger than me.

My Grandad have me a straight razor when I was pretty young. That thing was old and laser beam sharp. I have no idea what I ever did with it, but I wish I still had it.

Back
Top Bottom