• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interest in Straight Razor & Wet Shaving Clinic (or table)??

Joshua223

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
54   0
Reaction score
Thought I would see if anyone is interested in learning about straight razors & wet shaving. I could go over some basics in one of extra rooms. And if anyone wanted to go more in depth I would be glad to work with them.

Or, I could just have a table set up and sell shave ready straight razors, strops, etc if there is a demand for it. I hone razors and could have some ready to go. I have some flax linen fire hose that is great for strops and can hopefully have some made for the meet.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_20200130_230320.jpg

I tried using a straight razor for a month or so. One slight slip sideways and my cheek was bleeding almost from mouth to ear. That was enough for me.
Yeah, those stories are what discourage a lot of others from trying. Could you have been using too much pressure? What kind of razor? Who honed it?

Getting cut hasn't really been a problem for me. I think I've gotten deeper nicks from disposable razors.
When I first started SR shaving I used blades that weren't sharp enough and that was just asking for irritation. Getting a professionally honed razor gave me a benchmark and made shaving easier. I also used too much pressure. Straights require very little pressure for them to shave properly. Someone told me to, "shave the lather, not your face". Basically, pretend you are cleaning the lather off instead of focusing on cutting the hair. This made a huge difference for me. And there are different types of razors to suit people's preferences. Those are the types of things I would discuss. I could also go how to maintain a razor edge without having to send it in for honing and how to strop without cutting up your strop.

I'm FAR from being a pro, so I don't want to sound like a know it all. I've made enough mistakes to be able to help others avoid them. I don't use a straight on a daily basis and I'm still learning. Normally I keep a beard so I am usually just cleaning up my neck and cheeks. If I want to use a straight razor for a quick shave I can, but I like being able to take my time sometimes and enjoy the process. You can use canned foam and a shavette, go to the other end of the spectrum and do the full routine like a old school barber, or anything in between.

I also can bring a couple of SAFETY RAZORS. I frequently use Gillette double edge safety razors. They also have a variety of safety razors and blades for different preferences.

Here is a Zwilling Henckels safety razor! Blades need touching up, but other than that it looks like it is good to go.

IMG_20200131_213054.jpg

The piece in the right is made for holding the blade so you can stop or hone it like you would a straight razor blade. I'm mostly into straight razors, but I do find these old safety razors really interesting.

Back
Top Bottom